Help: ex- steel workers who worked in the Lower Don / Meadowhall area.

LRider

I've recently been made redundant from Outo Kumpu and have sent a link to this thread to a distribution list of my fellow redundantees (is there such a word?).

I hope someone will be able to help.

I worked in the IT sector of the steel industry from the late 80's 'til this year but I suspect you're more interested in the shop floor workers.

Hi im still having problems recieving my PM's so it might be easier to contact me on gga04ler@sheffield.ac.uk.

Sorry for any inconvenience

Ive got a semi structured questionnaire and can email it to anyone who thinks they maybe able to help me.

Ta

L Rider

Max- interested in anybody or their families that the industry has had an effect on.

Slightly OT but is Outo Kumpo completely closing down max? I'm just curious as I'm supposed to be fabing up some stuff for them this week.

Just the coil products bit.

Just! Hah! Over 500 made redundant and I use the term just. :mad:

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Hi there . i work at a steel work that is next door to the meadowhall shopping centre . the company is now called firth rixson forgings . it was called aurora forgings and was first known as george turton platts . i think the company has been on this site since about 1904 ish . the company used to make railway buffers for trains . we now make aviation parts for rolls royce , pratt & whitney and general electric . our main customer is caterpillar over in the u.s.a

the company has never been as busy as it is now . i think we are the last steel works left in the meadowhall area .

pete

My Dad and Grandad used to work for George Turton & Platts for years until they were made redundant in the middle 80's. I remember me Dad taking me one day & I had a ride on the fork lift.

Archived