Looking for a quiet gym

Yerman

My question is a simple one. Does anyone know of a quiet gym? By that, I mean a gym where there is no 'background' music.

My situation is that I have been a member of Greens for a number of years - almost since its inception. However, the omnipresent background music has become intolerable. It consists of loud, intrusive, thumping music (?). One of the problems is that the type of music and sound level are controlled by a team of so-called instructors who are largely under 25. They have little understanding of nor respect for their customers.

When a member of staff is asked to turn the volume down, it is largely done with an air of resentment. I have spoken to the manager on a number of occasions about this issue. He acknowledges he has a problem and promises to sort it out......which he does do in the short term. Sadly the situation slips within a couple of weeks.

The irony is that a notice has recently been posted to the effect that patrons should refrain from using mobile phones whilst at the gym to preserve a 'relaxing environment'. In all the times I have visited that gym I have never once seen anyone use a mobile phone - yet the loud, oppressive background music is there day in day out.

When I leave I will not be the first to do so simply because of the type and level of background music. Greens spends large sums on marketing initiatives to attract new customers but does nothing to retain longstanding patrons.....which they could do at no cost.

So the bottom line is, does anyone know of a quiet gym in S7,8,10,11?

Try the Macdonnald hotel in town.

Absolutely.

Popped in there over the weekend and it was bereft of any horrible, irritating, thumping background noise. It was in silence.

There were only two instructors in. There was no-one in the pool either. A more calming environment one could not wish for.

(Note. It isn't cheap to join.)

The Healthy Living Centre in Upperthorpe has a decent gym with no music apart from whatever's on the radio.

You have to be referred by the Doctor to go there though, as it's mainly for disabled clients.

At the macdonalds gym theY will turn the music off completely if you ask, they often do when yoga and pilates classes are on. Also all the machines have tv sets so you can put your headphones in and hear no music lol. its always quite quiet and classes are small so the instructor can focus more on you which is useful in pilates.

Archived