People on Benefits should have to give time to community

People on benefits should have to give up some of their spare time to the benefit of the community. Examples of activities (lets not call it work and cause an outrage) they could do would be litter picking from green spaces, steward work at public events to give relief to the police (thats not 2 activities..). Upon completion of activity, a card is stamped and presented for benefits. No stamped cards = minimum benefits. Stamped cards = a bit more cash.

People on benefits should have to give up some of their spare time to the benefit of the community. Examples of activities (lets not call it work and cause an outrage) they could do would be litter picking from green spaces, steward work at public events to give relief to the police (thats not 2 activities..). Upon completion of activity, a card is stamped and presented for benefits. No stamped cards = minimum benefits. Stamped cards = a bit more cash.

I'd prefer them to have to walk round town with a bell round their necks, shouting "unclean!".

I think you've got a good point!

Plenty of run down parks, graffiti in public areas etc that could be cleaned up.

Obviously wouldn't work with people on disability benifits, or single parents (unless they offered child care places whilst they did there activities- but they already do that if you want to work)

People on benefits should have to give up some of their spare time to the benefit of the community. Examples of activities (lets not call it work and cause an outrage) they could do would be litter picking from green spaces.......

Why make them pick up litter? That's more like a punishment for being unemployed.

if they're to be made to do something, it should be something beneficial/rewarding to themselves as well as the community.

Not that I'm necessarily agreeing that they should be made to do owt

Why make them pick up litter? That's more like a punishment for being unemployed.

if they're to be made to do something, it should be something beneficial/rewarding to themselves as well as the community.

so they should be rewarding themselves for being on benefits?

it's a job isn't it, if someone was doing it then we'd all have a nicer environment to live in.

And if it happens to be not the nicest of jobs, then it's a good incentive to find a decent job and get off benefits.

Archived