People on Benefits should have to give time to community

i did not mean you happy hippy. I did use the qoute from the thread provider and asked should they get ill, in need of benefits, as maybe he/she may! I am unsure as to why it got redirected to you.

You might have got 'post reply' instead of 'quote' ..... no harm done!

When I first came to Sheffield I was full of confidence that I would find a suitable job in no time. I didn't even bother signing on as I had redundency money etc in the bank. Six or seven lengthy and fruitless interviews later I started to feel a little less 'proud and satisfied'. Then the money ran out so I had to sign on and move to more meagre accomodation.

After this I dropped my sights a little and ended up in the call centre circuit, earning just over half my previous salary, and there I will probably stay.

My point is, thare are plenty of jobs available, but many of them are very poorly paid and the workers thought little of. I dont claim benefits but I have little to be proud of, especially when I have to scrounge money for busfairs at the end of the month.

I don't know why you're not proud, I think that we're (workers) all looking for something that suits us in terms of our skills (well obviously:hihi:). But at least your prepared to work in what is 'beneath' you, until you find the job you're looking for.

some of the hardcore cant work because they already do so - cash in hand, but these jobs tend to be poorly (less than nmw etc) paid and tbf many would be better off on the benefits than just the job,

some have "idiocy" tricks, example cv statement: i brush my teeth everday(under qualification)

in both of these cases a sliding scale of benefits would entice them back to work/PAYE work..

for the disabled:

mental disability - cleaners

physical disability - call centre staff

edit: this is not an insult to any working in above jobs/disabled - more of a practical solution

No, I dont think so! but will check! I doubt it, I was replying to the thread starter who said about people on benefits should do this and that.. I did add the profession as a foot note- there we get the crossed wires!!

No, I dont think so! but will check! I doubt it, I was replying to the thread starter who said about people on benefits should do this and that.. I did add the profession as a foot note- there we get the crossed wires!!

this is a reply to happyhippy.

tbf many would be better off on the benefits than just the job,

The problem with benefits as I've posted before, is the problem that 'why would someone go back to work, if there family as a whole can make more doing nothing and claiming?', this was why I mentioned the sliding scale, after 6 months, if there's no reason why you can't work, then benefits should be cut.

physical disability - call centre staff

oi cheeky, I work in a call centre:hihi: I know what you meant, no need to respond. Although even I could have worded that better:)

These are who I meant Rich. :) Not sure about the numbers, but they do exist, I've met many.

There are loads, but the numbers are inestimable. The REAL point is that the majority AREN'T like this. I speak from years of working in welfare rights, and in Jobcentres, and up to Head Office/National Tier level.

The other thing about these dreadful people, is that they are the ones who are most visible.

It reminds me of years ago when people were complaining about the 'impoverished student who was on the lash down West Street every night', when I was doing my 'A' Levels with a fellow student by candlelight because we couldn't afford an electric token. I was a total wastrel then, apparently!

How we afforded a candle is still a mystery.

Anyway, as with most things, it's the vocal majority which make the headlines; not those who DO try .........

Archived