People on Benefits should have to give time to community

Has anyone thought about how you can justify somebody picking up litter on one side of the road, whilst a well paid member of streetforce does the otherside.

We pay people to do this. I think people should be encouraged to participate in society in some way, such as PT does with community works and mentoring.

I think it is unfair to judge people on benefits as a whole as some cannot physically do things and have a perfectly valid reason for being on benefits (as did i).

BasilRathbon.. that is a totally ridiculous and judgemental thing to say. :rant:

I don't think the OP meant the ill or disabled. Just the can't be bothereds.

I don't think the OP meant the ill or disabled. Just the can't be bothereds.

People on job seekers allowance (the clue is in the title) should have to provide proof of their efforts in looking for work each week. Letters sent out, rejection letters etc. registration with agencies.

Finding a job is a job in itself, (if people are doing it properly)

People on job seekers allowance (the clue is in the title) should have to provide proof of their efforts in looking for work each week. Letters sent out, rejection letters etc. registration with agencies.

Finding a job is a job in itself, (if people are doing it properly)

There isn't enough time in the 'signing-on' interview to do that properly, however it does get checked according to how many jobs are applied for in the jobcentre itself.

When anybody signs on, they are signing a declaration sayingthat they have been actively seeking work. As that is a contract, the provision is there to use the law against the client, if it is deemed necessary.

One of the main problems is that the officers who actually get people to sign the declarations are often temporary staff, who have little knowledge of what the declaration means.

In my experience, a lot people on the dole, especially long term, dont want a job. They are just bone bloody idle.

If you REALLY want a job, you will get one. Granted it might be rubbish, but you can get one.

That said, there are those at the lower end of the payscale, who are sometimes worse off than on benefit. This is hardly an encouragement to get out of bed at 5am on a cold winters day and pack quiches for 9 hours.

There are thousands of jobs around the country that need doing, from cleaning litter to mending roads, so instead of sending unemployed people to do them, lets make them proper jobs.

If you create work, then people are paid proper money and in turn pay tax etc.

They have more money and can spend it on things other than day to living costs.

I think we have write of about 50% of the under thirties as being of no hope.

They were brought under the regime of the 80s and early 90's and are the gimme gimme people. That was the legacy of the last government.

I believe an MP called Keynes put forward this idea in the 30s when unemployment was a scourge.

Today we can congratulate ourselves on having a society where no one in starving due to lack of our help.

But while ever we have a complete generation, (in some families two or even three generations) who are unemployable we are stuck with this situation.

Importing foreign labour is short term, the people themselves must be taught one again how to work.

Call centres and supermarket checkouts are not the answer.

I'd prefer them to have to walk round town with a bell round their necks, shouting "unclean!".

This is a silly and offensive idea - how dare you! A far better solutiion would be for them to have to wear a symbol at all times on their clothing, or perhaps an armband. Perhaps a big yellow "D" on their chest would allow us to identify them.

Archived