People on Benefits should have to give time to community

People on benefits should have to give up some of their spare time to the benefit of the community. Examples of activities (lets not call it work and cause an outrage) they could do would be litter picking from green spaces, steward work at public events to give relief to the police (thats not 2 activities..). Upon completion of activity, a card is stamped and presented for benefits. No stamped cards = minimum benefits. Stamped cards = a bit more cash.

I agree, but I think the sceme should be extended to include the other non productive members of society, such as the royal family, all those who make a living from speculating in shares, property or currencies, and most people who work in the legal proffession.

I agree, but I think the sceme should be extended to include the other non productive members of society, such as the royal family, all those who make a living from speculating in shares, property or currencies, and most people who work in the legal proffession.

Don't be daft! people who speculate shares, work in property or currencies are actually doing a paid vocation. They must have some use or they wouldn't be makin or getting money. Even if you feel they are not working very hard.

As for the royal family....well, they are kind of non-productive. But its not as if the Queen sits on the throne all day long being entertained by jesters.

Her, and the rest of the Windsors have pretty much full diaries from here till forever with engagements etc. So they ARE actually doing something. Besides they are all PRACTICALLY in the armed forces.

Agreed 100%!!!!!!

In fact, I think the world would be a much better place if the Stock Market didn't exist!!

All it does is make the Rich RICHER, and the poor POORER!

that it would never happen, because your Mr. & Mrs MP, Lawyer, Judge all have their own share portfolio (which earns them sh*t loads of cash for doing NOTHING AT ALL).

And it means that you can get interest on your bank account, and that the economy in the country is healthy enough to ensure that the standard of living can remain pretty high.

man I LOVE getting interest on my bank account....... O hold on a minute.... NO... even though I work full time, my partner works full time, we very rarely go out or buy anything for ourselves, we are only ever in PLUS figures in our bank account for about 5 days from 30 in a month!

And it means that you can get interest on your bank account, and that the economy in the country is healthy enough to ensure that the standard of living can remain pretty high.

That interest is directly connected to inflation. If prices didn't keep going up, you wouldn't need interest.

Agreed 100%!!!!!!

In fact, I think the world would be a much better place if the Stock Market didn't exist!!

All it does is make the Rich RICHER, and the poor POORER!

that it would never happen, because your Mr. & Mrs MP, Lawyer, Judge all have their own share portfolio (which earns them sh*t loads of cash for doing NOTHING AT ALL).

That portfolio that you are denigrating means that they have invested money in companies.

Without that investment how do you expect companies to raise cash to invest and grow their businesses?

And why exactly shouldn't the investment they've made (which is at some risk as performance is never guaranteed) not carry some reward?

Sounds an awful lot like jealousy to be honest.

Don't be daft! people who speculate shares, work in property or currencies are actually doing a paid vocation. They must have some use or they wouldn't be makin or getting money. Even if you feel they are not working very hard.

As for the royal family....well, they are kind of non-productive. But its not as if the Queen sits on the throne all day long being entertained by jesters.

Her, and the rest of the Windsors have pretty much full diaries from here till forever with engagements etc. So they ARE actually doing something. Besides they are all PRACTICALLY in the armed forces.

It's a bit like gambling, only those who pay the winnings don't have enough money to be involved in the game in the first place, and aren't even aware it effects them. If you do have enough money to play, you can hardly lose in the long run, unless you put all your eggs in one basket.

Archived