Prison - Anyone been Inside?

What is prison life like - why are they overcrowded. Why is South Yorkshire the Prison capital of South Yorkshire?

I hear there's a big discussion on BBC Radio Sheffield all next week...starting with a series called 'Life Inside' on the breakfast show with Antonia Brickell

(lovely voice by the way..) and a big debate with experts, politicians and ex-prisoners on the Rony Robinson Show Monday 20th 1-2pm.

What's your experience? have you been inside - why is it all going pear shaped for prisons. Are sentences too soft? Should we build more prisons - get touhger on sentencing?

In all seriousness do you know if it is true about the showers an other popular rumors? A lawyer said to someone I was speaking to that even though they knew that their client was guilty they still did their best to keep him out of prison and they justified it by saying "I am saving his life by stopping him from going to prison, prison is the worst place on earth on the first day they beat you, on the second day they bugger you and on the third day you hang yourself". Its an anecdote that stuck in my mind I just wondered if this was a true interpretation of prisonlife.

I gather it has changed. The popular misconception about prison is that its about 'punishment' as most people would believe, but the truth is the twin objective of prison is 'loss of liberty' and 'rehabilitation'.

We have quite a few prisons in this area Doncaster HMP & YOI Marshgate

(also known as 'Doncatraz'), HMP Lindholme, HMP Moorland Open Prison, and Ranby near Worksop.

I gather Radio Sheffield are doing a week in Ranby - its a Category 'C' Training Prison which is full of about 1,000 odd prisoners.

Will be interesting to hear the stories from there....Does anyone have a connection to Ranby or been inside?

In all seriousness do you know if it is true about the showers an other popular rumors? A lawyer said to someone I was speaking to that even though they knew that their client was guilty they still did their best to keep him out of prison and they justified it by saying "I am saving his life by stopping him from going to prison, prison is the worst place on earth on the first day they beat you, on the second day they bugger you and on the third day you hang yourself". Its an anecdote that stuck in my mind I just wondered if this was a true interpretation of prisonlife.

I think this is maybe a bit far fetched.

The world inside reflects the world outside according to insiders!

Total rollocks!

The only reason a solictor would keep you out is their fees, they aren't interested if you are guilty or not. Just as long as you keep your speel the same as theres!

Would you believe it costs £26,000 per year to keep one prisoner inside and there's 79,500 prisoners incarcerated as at 1.00pm this afternoon.

I make that £206 Million pounds year from the taxpayer to keep them all locked up!

Would you believe it costs £26,000 per year to keep one prisoner inside and there's 79,500 prisoners incarcerated as at 1.00pm this afternoon.

I make that £206 Million pounds year from the taxpayer to keep them all locked up!

Yes I believe this.

I also believe that prisoners get more money and more help than the average pensioner.

If they all hung themselves on the third day there would be much less overcrowding.