Prison - Anyone been Inside?

does anyone know how much help if any is given to people leaving prison?

Very little, added to that the fact that having a criminal record makes you almost unemployable and is it suprising that some people turn to crime again ?

Lucky you weren't killed, suprised you got locked up just for crashin your car, well harsh. Although I know someone that got put away for just havin soft drugs. On halloween he was dressed as a burgular or sumthin n he went into a petrol station to get some fags n he made a joke with the person at the till like "stick em up" or sumthin with a blaitely toy gun n they both laffed about it, but an old lady in the queue rang 999 and they tracked him down and searched his house for guns. All they found wer the drugs n he got locked up!

They probably only took it that serious coz they were bitter they didn't find anything else n had bothered to get armed squad n everyhting wher as ur average bobby wud av just turned a blind eye.

But were any other road users involved? Surely you can't receive a custodial sentence just for crashing your own car, unless there are consequences.

no other road users involved only people injured were me and my friend who was in the car with me i didnt expect to be 'going down' my soliciter had no idea why i was sent down either

but the judge sent me down so down i went

It turns out the Chief Constable, the Head of Probation and some former Prisoners are due to have their say on this debate on BBC Radio Sheffieold next Monday 2oth Nov 1-2 with Rony Robinson. I reckon it'll be a good dsicussion on some of these issues especially listening to the ex-cons on how they found life inside.

The prison Reform Trust has a seven point plan for tackling overcrowding see what you think?

http://www.prisonreformtrust.org.uk/standard.asp?id=680

Why does overcrowding matter? Why not just build more prisons?

The prison population has been rising steeply since the early nineties. It is now heading toward 80,000, in 1993 it was 45,000. Some of the steepest rises have been for women and children.

The reason for the growth is not more crime, which has been stable or fallen, or from more convictions in court, which have stayed stable, but the extension of prison for petty offenders and ever lengthening sentences.

The result has been crowded prisons. Despite vast expenditure on new places, the cost is put at almost £100,000 a place, our prisons have been overcrowded for every year for more than a decade. This is not fair on the staff who are called upon to act merely as turnkeys, processing people from overcrowded jail to overcrowded jail. Nor is it fair on prisoners. Many are sitting out their sentences in a shared cell, eating, sleeping and using the toilet in the same small space as another person up to 23 hours a day. Nor does it aid public protection to have longer sentences in which less is done. The reoffending rate after prison has risen from 51% in 1992 to 67%. Crowded prisons do not work.

Many want more prisons. But if that was the answer, we wouldn’t be asking the question now. For many years we have built and built, and prisons have filled up yet more quickly. It is like trying to deal with a runaway train by building more track. Instead we need to ask tough questions about the level of mental health care, drug and alcohol programmes available in the community. We need community punishments that work and command public confidence. Then prisons and prison staff can do their job, holding securely and rehabilitating serious and violent offenders.