Prison - Anyone been Inside?

• 8 years later...
Would you believe it costs £26,000 per year to keep one prisoner inside and there's 79,500 prisoners incarcerated as at 1.00pm this afternoon.

I make that £206 Million pounds year from the taxpayer to keep them all locked up!

Even worse than that... you missed a zero off the end. It is £2+ billion!

In all seriousness do you know if it is true about the showers an other popular rumors? A lawyer said to someone I was speaking to that even though they knew that their client was guilty they still did their best to keep him out of prison and they justified it by saying "I am saving his life by stopping him from going to prison, prison is the worst place on earth on the first day they beat you, on the second day they bugger you and on the third day you hang yourself". Its an anecdote that stuck in my mind I just wondered if this was a true interpretation of prisonlife.

If this were entirely true there wouldn't be any overcrowding.

If the poster had said in 2006 that 2 and 2 make 5 it would still have been wrong.

The cost was up to about £32,000 per prisoner a year in 2012. The current prison population is over 88,000.

I bet some public schools don't charge £32,000 per year for their fees....