Sheffield Transport Dept.bus and tram works Queens Rd.

owdsmiffy

There must have been hundreds worked here over the years in the various departments.I worked my apprenticeship (or part of it)in the "top shop" bus works before I saw the light and left.At that time the works superintendant was Earnest Hall & the works foreman was Jack Mann (us "lads" had to call them Mr) It was when "demarcation lines" were the order of the day and a strict heirarchy operated.still think about it now & then.

Hi Albert. Well I started there in April 1957 (I've just had to look at my apprenticeship agreement to confirm that,does'nt that make me ancient)and although the name Bill Smith rings a bell,I can't say that I do remember where I've heard it.I'm just coming up on 65 now & I've met a lot of people allong the way,but there was a machine shop at Queens rd and it was situated within the bus workshop,most of the general machining for the whole transport department was done in there and it employed a good few men,if he was employed on the repair of tram brakes, its a fair chance that he would have been in that machine shop.But thats about all I can tell you.

Hi Albert. Well I started there in April 1957 (I've just had to look at my apprenticeship agreement to confirm that,does'nt that make me ancient)and although the name Bill Smith rings a bell,I can't say that I do remember where I've heard it.I'm just coming up on 65 now & I've met a lot of people allong the way,but there was a machine shop at Queens rd and it was situated within the bus workshop,most of the general machining for the whole transport department was done in there and it employed a good few men,if he was employed on the repair of tram brakes, its a fair chance that he would have been in that machine shop.But thats about all I can tell you.

I'll get some more detail from my sister and she should be able to fill any details that I've forgotten. A man named ' Bloodworth or Bosworth' also comes to mind. Do they ring a bell with you?

No sorry those names do'nt mean a thing to me,and I've remembered where the name Bill Smith came from,he was a chap I new in Cheadle Hulme,Manchester where I lived for 5yrs.I'm afraid a lot of it has dissapeared into the mists of time

• 3 months later...

hi. I worked at STD from 1959 to 1986 .I knew Bill smith well he was known as the Alderman due to his father being a councillor nice man . Bill bosworth was a overall fitter and a union official at the elm tree branch of thr then AEU . He was an umpire and never got to know that cricket was to end at bramall lane as he died about 1970 he live on city rd

Archived