Goin down boro in 80's

algenon

does anyone remember goin down hillsborough in 80's. going round shakey, Maisons and Ball. Then on way home going in the goat in boots wine bar across from hills park. Then when you were well and truely ****** playing in the boating lake or waking up the next day on the bowling green. Happy day's.

does anyone remember goin down hillsborough in 80's. going round shakey, Maisons and Ball. Then on way home going in the goat in boots wine bar across from hills park. Then when you were well and truely ****** playing in the boating lake or waking up the next day on the bowling green. Happy day's.

Went in ball.....parked my bike at back of pub...then raced to supper spot at end of rivlin valley road

When in the 80's? I worked/boozed in the Ball from 82-86 when it was a great pub, with a Tap Room and proper music. Pinball was always good there too.

There were some great characters there. Remember Ashley the insane glass collector? We used to go to the wine bar after work too - though it was called Swiggys by that time.

Really do miss those days....

:cool:

I used to go down hillsboro' with a group of about 8 friends from the CB. We always started in the Shakey, then to the Ball and finally the Freemasons before making our wobbly way back to Stannington or Wisewood depending on whose house we were off to!

Oh, those were the days!!!

they used to be an old bloke, (not a full shilling ) used to dance in ball, charlie ?

Yeah that was me - Hi!

Nah seriously there were some proper characters there - we used to get some of the Middlewood patients in, Charlie, Ernest and Walter of course. Harmless, and usually less dangerous and sharper than most of the usual clientelle were, especially after 10.30pm (as it was then).

:D

When in the 80's? I worked/boozed in the Ball from 82-86 when it was a great pub, with a Tap Room and proper music. Pinball was always good there too.

There were some great characters there. Remember Ashley the insane glass collector? We used to go to the wine bar after work too - though it was called Swiggys by that time.

Really do miss those days....

Was Ashley the one who just kept collecting glass's until the pile was about 4 foot higher than him.Yes it did change to Swiggys about 81ish. and then later the ball got a video jukebox.Remember one night just putting livin on a prayer on by bon jovi all night and singing (well shouting) it with some pals till we couldn't speak(and the rest of the pub gave a sigh of relief)

Was Ashley the one who just kept collecting glass's until the pile was about 4 foot higher than him.

Yeah that was Ashley! He wasn't even a staff member for years, he just used to collect them to help us out. A Godsend he was! I never knew of him missing a session in there day or night in all the time I was there.

The vid juke box was good but there weren't many tracks on there, but what were on were good. I remember Wishing Well - Free, and London Calling - Clash. I also think there was a Bon Jovi song called Hardest Part Is The night on there which was one of their best earlier tracks.

The bikers there were a great bunch, Slim, Simma, Mo, Big Mick, Az, Bunge, Wuzzy & Mick and the rest.

I always thought the decline started after the fire in about '84, when out went the moody lighting and dark corners and brass fittings became the norm.

Ashley lives at Stannington he once fixed my van.

Can you remember big George he was about 6'10" used to go out with a girl about 5'3", honest, he was there probably late 80's.

Remember the Monday night disco where there was standing room only, £1 to get in at the door, always full and for a Monday night not bad!!

Shaun

the Ball was better before the fire alot more atmosphere and the bear garden in summer was always full. Remember the balcony at the maisons that overlooked the river people were always jumping off it into the river for a bet and the back door to the Shakey from woolies. Also setting off from a pub(forgot it's name) where pizza hut and the kentucky are now across from the dogs and then walking into town going in every pub on penistone road Lancers, Barracks etc. by the time you got to town you were well on your way and then falling into Romeo's or Roxy.

Archived