Snow in Sheffield in the late50/60's

sandie

Sat looking out of the window south of Inverness it reminds me of the times in the 50/60's in Hackenthorpe/Woodhouse as kids we used to go out and have fun in the snow with no fear.When we came home our g loves & wet shoes filled with the pages of the Star or Telgraph at the side of the fire to dry out.

We used to use plastic carrier bags in our shoes to keep our feet dry.

Looking out of the window if the snow continues I am going out to play even @ 9 oclock up here and the wife also wants to come also.

Is there any over 50's want to do the same in snow:) :cool:

Sat looking out of the window south of Inverness it reminds me of the times in the 50/60's in Hackenthorpe/Woodhouse as kids we used to go out and have fun in the snow with no fear.When we came home our g loves & wet shoes filled with the pages of the Star or Telgraph at the side of the fire to dry out.

We used to use plastic carrier bags in our shoes to keep our feet dry.

Looking out of the window if the snow continues I am going out to play even @ 9 oclock up here and the wife also wants to come also.

Is there any over 50's want to do the same in snow:) :cool:

Are you sure you used plastic carrier bags in the 50's and 60's. I think not as we only began to use these disgusting plastic objects in the early 70's.

Halcyon days eh!!!!!

Are you sure you used plastic carrier bags in the 50's and 60's. I think not as we only began to use these disgusting plastic objects in the early 70's.

Halcyon days eh!!!!!

I was thinking that as well although I can't think what we DID do. I CAN remember the newspaper "stuffing" to dry them out and leaving them in the hearth though.

On the downside, I can also remember chilblains:(

Hi Reesh 2052, The statement of plastic carrier bags is not far from the truth.

By deffinition a bag used to carry anything away from a shop is a carrier bag.

You are correct if I had said a Morrisons, Tesco or Asda I can understand your comments. In the late 50/60's if you are telling me plastic bags (or should I have said polethene bags) were not in use then I must disagree.

Remember late 50/60's covers 1959 to 1969.

During that period we did use plastic bags

I was thinking that as well although I can't think what we DID do. I CAN remember the newspaper "stuffing" to dry them out and leaving them in the hearth though.

On the downside, I can also remember chilblains:(

What we did was wear wellingtons. You went to school with your slippers in a bag, then changed out of wellies into slippers at school.

I cannot remember a winter without thick snow, yet these days, I bet a lot of children have never seen really deep laying snow, in this country at least.

We used to make ice slides that lasted for days on end. The ice used to wear out before it melted.

When it got to this time of year we would drag the sledges out of the cellar and start polishing the runners, confident that before long we would be causing mayhem up and down the street :D

There was an old lady used to throw ashes across the street, to stop us. That just made it worse, as we would all come to a juddering stop outside her house in a big pile up.

We used to make a long chain of sledges and go snaking down the street from top to bottom, right down to the main road.

How we never broke our necks god knows. :thumbsup:

Hi Reesh 2052, The statement of plastic carrier bags is not far from the truth.

By deffinition a bag used to carry anything away from a shop is a carrier bag.

You are correct if I had said a Morrisons, Tesco or Asda I can understand your comments. In the late 50/60's if you are telling me plastic bags (or should I have said polethene bags) were not in use then I must disagree.

Remember late 50/60's covers 1959 to 1969.

During that period we did use plastic bags

me too i well remember the bags in my shoes. i even used them in my childrens wellies. although now i live in bristol i get to see the snow even less than sheffield.

I use to love going home after a long day in the snow and sit in front of the open fire with a cup of cocoa.

Archived