Snow in Sheffield in the late50/60's

sandie

Sat looking out of the window south of Inverness it reminds me of the times in the 50/60's in Hackenthorpe/Woodhouse as kids we used to go out and have fun in the snow with no fear.When we came home our g loves & wet shoes filled with the pages of the Star or Telgraph at the side of the fire to dry out.

We used to use plastic carrier bags in our shoes to keep our feet dry.

Looking out of the window if the snow continues I am going out to play even @ 9 oclock up here and the wife also wants to come also.

Is there any over 50's want to do the same in snow:) :cool:

I'll give you a call in a couple of wks,they may be 6ft in my driveway that will need diging out:( hope i get the freezer filled in time:confused:

not only did we take our slippers to school but we had a wooden clothes peg with our name written on it to hold the wellies together!

Tramped to school through blizzards and snow drifts - particularly in that dreadful winter of 1964 - the chill blains and frost bite put me off skiing forever!! I can remember the view from our kitchen window in Bradway, overlooking the Derbyshire moors, where we saw nothing but snow for 6 weeks in '64.

• 2 months later...

I've just heard on the morning BBC News that hundreds of schools are closed due to the weather (2 to 4 inches of snow) I remember walking to school in 4 feet of snow in the 40's & 50's.. but Shiregreen School and all the others always kept open..Are we getting soft or what???????.

My mother once walked from Chapeltown to Meynell Road School in the snow. I worked on Claywheels Lane and thought nothing about walking from Browning Drive, off Halifax Road. I have a photo(somewhere) of the snow going over my boots. They go mad today if they get 2 cm. and its a good excuse not to go to school - In their defence I suppose the teachers live much further away from schools these days.

Born and bread in Sheffield in the 50's and 60's I am Gob Smacked with the confusion and Chaos that the south have with 2cm of snow (less than 1 inch) airports close, trains stop running an total gridlock on the roads.

What is their problem, in Yorkshire from what I remember it took 6 to 8 inches (15 to 20cm) before we had a problem and we had very few 4x4 cars.

As I now live in Inverness, when it snows anything below 10 inches (25cm) does not cause a problem because as Yorkshire we get on with it.

We also had very few front wheel drive cars the only one I remember was the Mini, we also used to drive on cross ply tires not radials.

So from me I feel not so very for those winging and soffties from down south

I was thinking that as well although I can't think what we DID do. I CAN remember the newspaper "stuffing" to dry them out and leaving them in the hearth though.

On the downside, I can also remember chilblains:(

The day after we left our soaking wet shoes to dry by the roaring fire in the 40s -50s,they would be so stiff it was hard to put them back on again!

There were no man-made fibres in those days.We just put on extra layers of clothes and 2/3 pairs of socks,and usually managed to keep warm.

We did have Wellington boots though.

1947 was the best winter snowfall I remember.

Born and bread in Sheffield in the 50's and 60's I am Gob Smacked with the confusion and Chaos that the south have with 2cm of snow (less than 1 inch) airports close, trains stop running an total gridlock on the roads.

What is their problem, in Yorkshire from what I remember it took 6 to 8 inches (15 to 20cm) before we had a problem and we had very few 4x4 cars.

As I now live in Inverness, when it snows anything below 10 inches (25cm) does not cause a problem because as Yorkshire we get on with it.

We also had very few front wheel drive cars the only one I remember was the Mini, we also used to drive on cross ply tires not radials.

So from me I feel not so very for those winging and soffties from down south

Hi Sandie,

You really shouldn't be suprised at the state of panic in the Deep South - such places as M25 Land and their surroundings - when they have a few centimetres of snow. Remember, in their myopic world, civilisation ends at Watford.

Therefore, what happens in the great beyond - such things as blizzards, 3 meter drifts, floods, etc - never comes up on there radar screens. To them, anything that happens north of the Trent should only be reported on the BBC World TV Service - along with happenings in Iraq, Afganistan, and so on. They most likely don't know how to drive in the white stuff anyway.

In your local up in Northern Scotland, your winter weather must not be much different to ours in Canada. We live in the Greater Toronto Area and for the past week our daytime temp. has been minus 8-10deg. C with a wind chill that makes it feel like it's minus 16-19 deg. C. Its colder at night. The forcast is for another week of this. We don't have much snow on the ground though.

We are fortunate. Everyone around us is being hammered with much lower temperatures and snow falls like you wouldn't believe. Out West, they are getting wind chills of minus 40-45 deg.C. So much for global warming.

Regards

Sat looking out of the window south of Inverness it reminds me of the times in the 50/60's in Hackenthorpe/Woodhouse as kids we used to go out and have fun in the snow with no fear.When we came home our g loves & wet shoes filled with the pages of the Star or Telgraph at the side of the fire to dry out.

We used to use plastic carrier bags in our shoes to keep our feet dry.

Looking out of the window if the snow continues I am going out to play even @ 9 oclock up here and the wife also wants to come also.

Is there any over 50's want to do the same in snow:) :cool:

Hi Sandie,

Just remembered something from the long-lost past. In the bad winter of 1962/1963 (you will remember that), my wife and I lived near the top of the Gleadless Valley. We also had a Mini.

One weekend in February, it started snowing heavily on the Saturday morning and didn't stop until about 7:30 on the Sunday evening. Then the sky cleared completely. We had been in the house pretty much since Friday night so we decided to go to the inlaws, near Gleadless church.

I had no trouble getting out of my drive and our street but when I reached the top of Blackstock Road, it was different story. I had been driving in the tracks of a previous vehicle but when I reached the Island at the top and wanted to turn left, there were plenty of tracks but none going around the corner.

I made a run to break through in to the other tracks but all I suceeded in doing is compacting the snow under the engine pan so it lifted the front wheels and I lost traction. I managed to dig myself out (every body carried a shovel that winter) and backed out. I then went round the island (twice) until I located a good set of tracks going in the direction I wanted to go. It was pretty much the same all the way to Gleadless: stay in the other guy's tracks or get stuck.

When we came back that way, the road had been ploughed and everything was fine.

Happy days

Regards

Hi Falls,

Thanks for the reply I think our snow in Scotland is a wee bit less than yours, but when it does snow we know about it and as you have said we cope. Schools dont shut Public transport still runs and we all put on the correct clothing.

I was interested in your experience with the mini in Gleedles, In the mid/late Sixty's I was at the new school for Central Tech less than a mile from Townend.

There is one place I want to visit in Canada is a small village called Mooseone just situated at the bottom of the Hudson Bay, for some reason from the age of 16 I have allways wanted to go there and one day I will, the other place I want to go to is Vancover. I applied to Bell Telephones in the late 60's for a job and was accepted sadly I never took it up.

I will just have to sit and watch the Dolphins in the Morray Firth out of my window

Well Fells thats all for now

Regards

Archived