Snow in Sheffield in the late50/60's

sandie

not if you had it like we did in 1947/53and had to deliver coop milk round shiregreen

You are still alive then, I remember sledging down Deerlands Avenue on a curved section of an Anderson Shelter. We had about 16 kids shouting like banshees as we went as far as we could. Pulling the thing back up a

hard task, there were still piles of snow outside the Capital cinema in june of '47. We had three steps from the front path onto the footpath but after the snow you could walk straight onto the road without a problem, there wern't any cars either but the horses produced "horse muck" to feed the tomatoes, life was much simpler, nobody had anything then so there was no competition to have the best of everything as avarice now seems to rule OK. My coffin is being delivered in the morning, better not be any gsrlic around but then garlic is round, I can never win, I always have a cross to bare but only with my eyes shut, someone else might have a stake in this but I don't want to know.

In the late 60's I had just left work and started my first job at Fiinegans on Ecclesall Road. At the time I lived at Addy st. The quickest bus to catch was the inner circular unless it snowed then it was walking which it did 4 thursday nights on the trot so it was walk friday morning. The route was up through Crookesmoor Rec, Weston Park, over by bwhat is now the Sheffield and Hallamshire on Brocco Bank tu hunters bar.The first week all the traffic was on the slide.As a single decker bus came up to the traffic lights to turn left onto Brocco Bank the bus started to skid, after trying for about 5 mins and getting knowhere the few passaggers at 7.15 am got off and started to pu**** over the brow of the hill onto Brocco Bank. After the thought they had done enough they made a scrsmble back onto the bus. at that point the bus slowly slid back down the slope. Another week an flat back crane transporter tried to do the same manouver wasn't going anywhere. As I got nearer I could see a bloke throwing a sack under the wheel to try and give it some grip. Would have been a good idea if it had been under the drive wheels of the tractor unit, but it wasn't. He was doing it under the trailer wheels that were idle.:help:

Archived