What's happening on London Road..?

hypester

I did a crawl down london road for the first time for a couple of years about a month ago and I cannot believe how much it has gone down hill.

I grew up in the area and I've been going in the pubs on and off for over 20 years.

The Cremorne was ok, I was worried when Nick left that it would go down hill but the new management seem to be doing ok.

The Crown has got rid of the snooker table but is pretty much the same, still got the old crowd in.

Tramway shut and I cannot see it reopening, it was always a poor pub.

The barrel was my local when Ron and Dot had it and it seemed ok but nothing special.

The sheldon was dreadful, about 10 people in at about 10 on a saturday night.

The Sportsman was just as bad.

The Phesant was never a pub I liked but it wasn't as bad as it used to be.

The Albion had kareoke on which is always a winner for me, really loud crap singers, no where to sit, crap beer and for some reason it had the best atmosphere out of all the pub we had been to up to now.

R and R bar. I used to like the Hermitage but I've never really liked the R+R bar, the service is always terrible, the toilets always stink and that annoys me. It is set up as a pub I would like, pool tables and a big screen are a winning combo for me but this place just doesn't do it for me.

Dulo, I like, it's well run and comfortable but the music they play can be annoying.

I'd agree with all of that.

What was the one called at the top - at the fork of London and Abbeydale Rds? It's now flats. But a crawl would often start there and then head down to town. There would only be about 5 people in this absolutely massive pub whatever day of the week it was.

I would guess because when it was recently sold at auction they bought it. I think they still own the shops they previously occupied across the road, and used to own a few more further up the road which they let out.

Aah, that how. Ta.

Smart move buying property if you own a camera shop.

Uncertain times for that business over next couple of years.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi id just like to tell you good people that the Albion on london road will re-open its doors on friday the 8th of december and as one of the new managers would like to welcome all customers old and new with a warm welcome. Thanks shaun and Mark. Hope to see you there.

Archived