Does anyone remember Maugerhey, Norton?

kath2ivan

Hi Kath - yes your name does ring bells - distant tho they are!! Also remembered kids from local farms - Margaret Elliott and Brian Haddock and Richard Shepherd and a boy known as a non- stop talker John Beevers or something like. Teachers said he'd make gd. lawyer - wonder if he did? H

Hello helenfward

I knew Piers Coupe and his cousin Richard. We lived next door to him. Ann and Lesley Marshall. I was at Norton Free School from 1953 to 1957. Then I went to another School. Coincidently my Mother's Maiden name was Elliott. She came from Ringinglow and was a Farmer's daughter.From what I have been told the Elliotts' at Norton maybe connected to the Elliotts' of Ringinglow.

Hi Kath2ivan,

I saw the thread where you said your name used to be Athorn and you had a brother named David. Did you also have a brother named Kenneth? I used to work at S & E Co-op and David and Ken both worked at Archer Road as milkmen. This was way back when the world was young, back in the dim and distant. I also used to know a young couple names Creaser who lived in a cottage in Maugerhay back in the 60s.

I lived at the bottom of The Moor almost in the city centre. As kids we loved to get the bus to one of the parks - Endcliffe, Graves or Millhouses and you were all lucky enough to be within walking distance of Graves Park. I don't know about you but I think that I prefer the world as it was then. It seemed simpler and more innocent somehow.

Grannpat

Hello grannypat.

Well I am the second youngest of four kids. Christopher ,Eileen ,Me and David.

To be honest it is James David. He became a Plummer. The David and Kenneth who you refer to, I don't know them. Sorry love. I have been told though, by my sister in law. That the Creaser Couple are still around there.

Kathleen

Hi Kathleen,

I realised that it was probably a long shot that you would know David and Ken. Never mind. However, if your sister-in-law should happen to see either of the Creasers perhaps she could point them in the direction of Sheffield Forum. I haven't seen them for many many years. Not sure if they would even remember me so wouldn't want her to go out of her way. Thanks for replying.

Pat

• 7 years later...
On 21/01/2013 at 18:56, helenfward said:

Hi, Only just found this chat so v late joining in. I went to Norton Free school from 1952-1959. There for Queen's coronation - still got souvenir mug!! Summer I left was v hot and Ladybower village appeared as reservoir dried up. (Global warming new hey?) I was taught by Mrs Clinton, Mrs Simpson and Mrs Bramhall and remember Mr Bardon (desk at back of Mrs S's classroom!!) Remember Vardy boys, Piers Cope and my friend was Jennifer Archer whose Gran ran the village shop in Spring House on Norton Lane opposite the path over the fields to school. Never had school dinner as lived on Cloonmore Drive but remember it coming in tins. Also remember horrible warm milk which had stood out in the sun. Remember the "new" classroom built in the field and having little gardens in field below school. Lost when plans unveiled for new "big" school next door.My name was Helen Newbould back then.

Hello Helen

Do you remember me? - I was Linda Franks back then and I remember vividly coming to your house on the way back from school. I have only just discovered these posts as I have just started writing essays for the start of a course on memoir. I also remember all the teachers, and the outdoor toilets, and the playing fields, and the new classroom. I also remember that we took turns on being either first or second in the class!

And one winter we couldn't get through to the school because of snowdrifts

• 7 months later...

Hello.

I am interested in Chantrey House located on Maugerhay Lane  in Norton. I am doing a family tree. My Great Grand parents lived in Chantrey House before moving to Dyches Lane Farm which sadly no longer exists. My maiden name was Haw and in later years my Grandparents lived at Whitethorns on Dyches lane. Any info and memories would be lovely to hear.