Art Deco buildings in Sheffield

DAVE123

Dave , can I recommend this really good guide to buildings in Sheffield co written by Ruth Harman whose the head archivist at Sheffield Archives on Shoreham Street

'The Pevsner City Guide to Sheffield lept into the Top 10 sales at Waterstone's book shop in Orchard Square, outselling glitzy titles by TV chef Jamie Oliver and popstar Robbie Williams' - The Sheffield Star

'It's text and illustrations make it an essential book for anyone interested in the city and its historical development' - Contemporary Review

'The indispensable guide' - Family Tree Magazine

'Ruth Harman and John Minnis provide a lively, nuanced and authoritative guide to this little known story' - The Victorian

Sheffield has been synonymous with steelmaking since the eighteenth century and with cutlery for centuries before that. But while it has an extraordinary variety of industrial buildings connected to its metal trades, there is another side to what is England's least known big city. Set amidst magnificent scenery, it has some surprising survivals of its earlier history, as well as handsome public, commercial and religious buildings designed by its Victorian local architects.

The leafy western suburbs that rise towards the Peak District were described by Sir John Betjeman as the finest in England. The 1950s and 60s saw the city famed for its innovative public housing, university buildings and churches. After the decline of its manufacturing sector in the 1980s, major new venues for sport and entertainment, the prize-winning Peace Gardens and exciting new buildings such as the Millennium Galleries, Winter Garden and Persistence Works are visible signs of a renaissance in the city's fortunes. This is the first comprehensive architectural guide to Sheffield. It describes the buildings of the city centre and those of the inner suburbs within a two mile radius of it.

It also covers the lower Don valley, still the heart of Sheffield's steel industry, the outer suburbs to the west where those who made their fortunes from it lived in splendour and there are excursions to some outstanding buildings on the outskirts. Major buildings including the Town Hall, the two Cathedrals and the Winter Garden are given more detailed treatment, as are the two Universities. The central areas are the subject of walks, those further out have suggested tours by car. Illustrated throughout in colour with specially commissioned photographs and with these images augmented by historic maps, paintings and drawings, Sheffield will enable residents to look at familiar buildings in a fresh light and encourage visitors to discover for themselves the city's enticing contrasts of industrial heritage and natural beauty.

SUBJECT CLASSIFICATIONS:

Architecture

SERIES:

Pevsner Architectural Guides: City Guides S.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

Illustrations: 50 illustrations

Number of Pages: 320

I've just had a flick through the chronological chapter of the Pevsner Guide to Sheffield - a must-read if you're interested in buildings. It's probably the most thorough trawl through Sheffield's architectural heritage. There doesn't seem to be much mentioned except for the Art Nouveau-inspired Lydgate Lane School and the Art Deco design elements of the Central Library interior, but even that is described as 'subdued'.

I expect that in the far more detailed chapters covering different districts of the city, there will be more buildings or design details pointed out. It's very densely written so I can't skim it all here and now. Best get the book and comb through it.

The City Hall is the most famous Art-Deco interior, and the now demolished Sheffield & Ecclesall Co-Op Building on Ecclesall Rd/Cemetary Road was a good example. I'm trying to think of some others.

There were a few "mediterranean" style house built in Norton which were an Art-Deco type of architecture. The one by Norton Roundabout at Four Lane Ends has been altered to put a pitched roof on but the ones on Cinderhill Road (?) are still original I think.

The facade of the Adelphi Cinema at Attercliffe is another example. And the Wilson Road Synagogue.

The Workstation is in the old kennings garage and car showroom.

It was built in the 1930's.

The showroom building is deco and excellently converted by Allen Todd Architects.

As mentioned The adelphi is an excellent example of a deco cinema.

The only extant art nouveau building in sheffield is Kettlebridge school in darnall which is being left to rot by the city council. It is certainly worth a visit but did not make it into ruth harman's book due to publisher's space limitation.

I have several pictures, which I might try and dig out.

I had it 'spot listed' a few years ago when it was omitted from the council's review.

It's a shame that it has fallen into such disrepair and (like hillsboro hall coach house) is another example of sheffield city council's vandalism. They really are hopeless, whetever the spin.

A great loss was the old co-op building (now Waitrose) at the city end of eccleshall road. It was demolished under great protest, but at least some fragments were kept on the wall of Safeways. When Waitrose took over it disappeared. I have a pic of that fragment somewhere too.

Archived