Art Deco buildings in Sheffield

DAVE123

They listed the old Crown Court Buildings (aka Old Town Hall) in that same list a few years ago. Nothing has been done to preserve them since.

Hammerton School is a beautiful and unique building that should be preserved, but it's in one of the worst and most run down areas of Sheffield, so what to do? I can't see the council being able to afford to restore it nor private business. Maybe it's only hope is to be converted into a mosque as it's in a largely Islamic area of town.

I don't think so, they have enough.

There's also a lovingly restored white Deco detached house at the junction of Springfield Road and Button Hill.

There was/is a also a row of 30's Deco semis on Carterknowle Road opposite the school, now completely bastardised by double glazing.

There is also a nice example of an art deco house on Cloonemoor Drive, bottom left on the corner.

Ah, yes. I just found it on Google street view. It's a pity the windows have been modernised as I'm sure they would have been curved windows with horizontal strips originally -

I beleive they have plans to fit Crittall windows. I know the man that rendered it and the next stage is the window but it's going to cost.

I beleive they have plans to fit Crittall windows. I know the man that rendered it and the next stage is the window but it's going to cost.

I learnt something new today. I didn't know what 'Crittall windows' were and had to Google the term. It's the correct name for the typical Art deco windows.

Thanks for the info :thumbsup:

I bet they cost, but I bet it's worth it. That house will look stunning with Crittall windows.

Archived