Any old regulars of the mulberry

kirky

Originally posted by Fareast

Kirky ,

I might be completely wrong about this but I remember a jukebox that showed pictures on the top as the music played in the Hermitage , on London Road , way before 1981.

Trouble is , it was probably a primitive version of a video jukebox and since I' m really technically illiiterate , I call them all the same name.

The Hermitage was pretty respectable at that time and I even took my mother in , who very rarely went in pubs .

I THINK the song on the juke box that we saw was Freddy and the Dreamers , singing that one that went , "How do you do what you do to me " , which may help you date it.

No chortling please-----it was modern for that time !

do you mean by gerry and the pacemakers ? not freddie and the dreamers . around 1964 , going back a bit intit .

Yeah , Tinker , I've got mixed up on the details , somewhere along the line.

Th best person to pinpoint the year is Owdlad , since he worked near there.

What was Freddy and the Dreamers ' best known song ? I might have been thinking of that ?

Originally posted by tinker

do you mean by gerry and the pacemakers ? not freddie and the dreamers . around 1964 , going back a bit intit .

1963 it was in the charts and i can't see them having music videos at that time:confused: :confused:

freddy and the dreamers had a few hits around the same time

you were made for me

i'm telling you now

spring to mind

Kirky

I suppose that even if Freddy and the Dreamers or Gerry and the Pacemakers had hits in the '60's , they might have put their songs on a video juke box much later than that. Perhaps , for some reason , only certain groups , "videod " their songs for the juke box ? I honestly don't know .

It's still up to Owdlad to pinpoint the date for us . Where is he ? Not back in the Hermitage , I hope.

Kirky

I suppose that even if Freddy and the Dreamers or Gerry and the Pacemakers had hits in the '60's , they might have put their songs on a video juke box much later than that. Perhaps , for some reason , only certain groups , "videod " their songs for the juke box ? I honestly don't know .

It's still up to Owdlad to pinpoint the date for us . Where is he ? Not back in the Hermitage , I hope.

yeah i know what you are saying and i'm not disgreeing with you,going back to the mulberry it just sticks in my mind because i was 18 and found it amazing you coulkd get the video with the song the place had about 10 tele's spred around the room and it just sticks out in my mind

Originally posted by kirky

would i be right in saying the mulberry was the first boozer in sheffield city centre to have a video juke box,it would have been around 1981 and i remember it was such a big deal that you could get the video with the song,the place was always rammed upstairs and down.

i would say you could be right kirky i would have thought the video jukebox was introduced in the early 1980s , i used to go in the hermitage in the late 60s 1969 to be exact and it was just a standard type jukebox i remember putting honky tonk women on by the rolling stones july 69 .

Kirky

I can't pinpoint it exactly, but it must have been 1968 or 9 mainly because I was a young lad then, and only learned later that the beer in The Pheasant was much better.

Originally posted by steevie/d

yes owd lad iworked at the back of the hermatage pub at joseph rodgers in 1971 left the same year to go down pit i used to go in the pub for my dinner we may have even crossed paths all them years ago :D

Sodding hell Steevie I used to work at Rodgers as well. Did you work there before they moved from Pond Hill or were you one of Coopers staff that got taken over by JR's?

Who was your foreman?

i know its off the thread a bit but i worked at rodgers just when they left pond hill owd lad worked in the press shop with terry ? john broughton and owd ted arthur ? forgot their sir names its a long time ago now memmory is not what it used to be m8:thumbsup:

Archived