Any old regulars of the mulberry

kirky

Lostrider ,

Another piece of Sheffield history comes to mind via your post !

The pub you might be thinking of was perhaps , " The Sycamore ". A Sycamore St. used to run from [i think] Pond Hill up to where the Crucible is now and there was a pub at the top , where Sycamore St. met Arundel St. ? [ again , the memory's faded a bit and I've no access to old maps ].

I do remeber , for certain , though a little street that ran off Sycamore street , near the bottom , called Milk Street. On Milk St. there was a club called , 'The Postman's '. It was one of those places which were open outside normal pub hours , presumably to cater for postmen. You can bet your life that not all the boozers who popped in had been delivering mail that day !

Originally posted by Fareast

Kirky ,

I might be completely wrong about this but I remember a jukebox that showed pictures on the top as the music played in the Hermitage , on London Road , way before 1981.

Trouble is , it was probably a primitive version of a video jukebox and since I' m really technically illiiterate , I call them all the same name.

The Hermitage was pretty respectable at that time and I even took my mother in , who very rarely went in pubs .

I THINK the song on the juke box that we saw was Freddy and the Dreamers , singing that one that went , "How do you do what you do to me " , which may help you date it.

No chortling please-----it was modern for that time !

The Hermitage had that juke box in the early sixties and it was Gerry and the Pacemakers that sang HOW DO YOU DO WHAT YOU DO TO ME not Freddie and the Dreamers

Originally posted by Lostrider

I can't remember the name, but the pub that used to stand where the Crucible is now had a video juke box around 1968. I used to go in there on Saturday afternoons with my mate Mick. We were only 15 but looked older. If I remember right it was 6d a go but you could pay a bob and the video was of, shall we say, of an adult nature. Pretty tame by todays standards but quite raunchy for two fifteen year old lads to watch.

That pub was The Adelphi a Stones house and was the birthplace of Yorkshire Cricket club.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

I do, towns never been the same since, I was there when Eric Clapton and Jack Bruce came in to see Mick Lee, he had worked for Eric previously, Mick wouldnt let him have a drink!!!!!

anyone remember the Mulberry Tavern in the town centre early 80s when big Mick Lee was the landlord, Bomber, walt clayton,mick cain,all used to work there,not much trouble in those days.:gag:

Archived