The old houses off Penistone rd

Rachylou

I was part of the team who switched the water mains off for that area before they demolished it all. I remember them making Threads there, the wrecked houses were perfect for a war/disaster scene.

Never knew the place was a scene for Threads...The film crew came to our school..(Hillsborough) too...we had to play in the playground as normal while they were filming...i was never in it but saw some familiar faces.

ok ...names have been coming back to me for the past couple of days so here's some i can remember...

Anita and Debra Horne

Samantha and Denise Robinson

Jason and Joanne Gregory

Michael Cheetham and siblings

Amanda Mettham

Jane Walton

My cousins Julie and Darren Bloodworth

John and David Mc'clean

Yvonne and Barrie poulten

Wayne and Richard Dawson

Tina and Stephanie Nash

and of course the ever so lovely...

Rachael and Lesley Marsh...

Ive only listed the people that i know the surnames i know a few more but only the first name so if anyone remembers anymore please add them.:)

ok ...names have been coming back to me for the past couple of days so here's some i can remember...

Anita and Debra Horne

Samantha and Denise Robinson

Jason and Joanne Gregory

Michael Cheetham and siblings

Amanda Mettham

Jane Walton

My cousins Julie and Darren Bloodworth

John and David Mc'clean

Yvonne and Barrie poulten

Wayne and Richard Dawson

Tina and Stephanie Nash

and of course the ever so lovely...

Rachael and Lesley Marsh...

Ive only listed the people that i know the surnames i know a few more but only the first name so if anyone remembers anymore please add them.:)

You forgot Paula Dawson,Wayne and Richard's sister.;)

Unregistered

The house on the corner on the picture you posted for yonks was our local chip shop.QUOTE]

Mine too! Dick Jow had it when I was a kid, and later it was taken over by Dennis and Annie Davenport (who used to have the "front window" shop on Dutton Road opposite the end of Grant Road.

There was also Fryer's (appropriately named) chip shop between the hardware shop and the butchers on Penistone Road opposite the end of Parkside Road, but I always prefered Dick Jow's. He did the best fishcakes that I've ever tasted.

We used to pinch Tizer bottles from the Tizer factory opposite the chip 'ole and take them back to buy four pennyworth of chips from Dick's.

Happy days!

Remember Fryers Chip shop. I went to Hillsborough school with her grandaughter, Christine Connelly. I joined the navy with a lad from Beulah Road called Dave Hunstone. Another one from that area was Stuart Rhodes.

Just been and bought a book called owlerton camera...its got some great pictures in it of our old streets.

I also bought Hillsborough camera aswell' again some great pictures of how hillsboro used to be like.......aah memories:)

Hi Rachylou. Where are these books available from - W H Smith? Would like to see some old photos of the area. My family once owned Owlerton Bridge Works which was a forge on the corner of Penistone Rd & Liversey - just near the dog track. Mind you, it was in the early 1860's. Nevertheless, it would still be interesting to see the layout of houses in the area as some may well have been there around this time.

Cheers, Jass