The old houses off Penistone rd

Rachylou

Does anyone remember a chip shop on at the side of a bombed site on Park View Road opposite the top of Burnell Road.

As a kid I used to buy chips there, they were always cooked in dripping and tasted great.

Happy Days!

I lived in burnell road from 1955 till 1966 till i was 13 and i do remember the chip shop on park view rd.there used to be several different shops up top of burnell and park view til the demolition squad pulled it all down.i remember mary greens where my nan-nan used to buy balm [baking yeast],truffellis ice -cream,further up was the chip shop,few doors up was a sweet shop.opposite was mr.wards grocery shop opposite that on top of burnell rd was bullivants another grocery shop.does anyone remember these ?

Harry lived with his mum and never married, lived around 68 Parkside Rd,He was a roof tiler even though he weighed at least 25 stones, He was a good man and yes he drank in The Crown

I dont remember Harry but my late mum Barbara Shaw did and said he was a roofer,and at 25st he was so light on his feet he used to run across the roofs.

• 1 month later...

I had a good mate who lived at the bottom of Broughton road,actually on Penistone rd.

Lived in a big house,his name was Malcolm Mackenzie (custard) to his pals. He then lived on Rudyard and sadly died a few years ago.

I had a good mate who lived at the bottom of Broughton road,actually on Penistone rd.

Lived in a big house,his name was Malcolm Mackenzie (custard) to his pals. He then lived on Rudyard and sadly died a few years ago.

Or maybe cos u was only 5 at the time just seemed a BIG house in fact it was two up and two down:hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi:

Or maybe cos u was only 5 at the time just seemed a BIG house in fact it was two up and two down:hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi:

Actually 2 up, 3 down if you count the off shot kitchen. My mate Graham Turner lived in the front room with his mum. Graham's mum and Custard's mum were sisters.

Looking back, I remember the sad time when they started demolishing various buildings and houses for the road widening of Penistone road.

I say sadly because I still think that some of them were pulled down unnecessarily eg the Victoria Hotel where the land it occupied was still wastelad when I last saw it.

When they were pulling down the row of houses named the Broughton Villas at the bottom of Broughton road but fronting onto Penistone Road, I noticed the stone plaque in the front wall with the name and the date.

I approached the Demolition crew if I could buy it from them when they got it down.

When I returned the next day the stone plaque was amongst the rubble broken in half.

I thought another little piece of history gone.

I know everything cannot be saved but in this instance money was to change hands with a little bit of Owlerton History being saved as a reminder of what was there.

This incident must have been played out a hundred times in the course of our city improving itself and yet with little or no regard for the past.

Someone once said, 'If we have no history we have no future'.

I wonder if he was right?

Happy Days! PopT

Jossman

I think we are talking about two different locations but maybe linked.

The Softley Farmhouse and farmyard I am asking about was situated on the corner of Borough Road and Penistone Road.

The house was end on to Penistone road with a garden at the Sheffield side and the yard on the Wadsley Bridge side.

The entrance to the yard was on the corner opposite the Crown Inn.

The other farmhouse was the next house on Brough Road.

Could you tell me where the Softley Cottages were situated exactly as they are new to me and I would love to know more about them.

There were some cottages near to the chip shop on Leppings Lane near the top of Bickerton Road, are these the cottages you are talking about?

Softley's son Chris married and moved into a house on Bickerton Road but I do not know of any connection to the cottages.

Happy days!

hi Pop T.i remember Softlys farm on borough road we lived near it in burnell rd,our back garden backed onto borough rd right opposite softlys.my mum used to send me to fetch milk and eggs from mrs.Softlys lovely people i seem to remember.that all got pulled down after we left sheffield along with a lot more of our area,just for a b****y road widening scheme.that area was home to us and all our relations since that area was farm land.wish we'd never left.back in the 60s my little brother used to get so ill with his chest doctor Henderson said to my parents leave Sheffield for somewhere with cleaner air,of course nowadays Sheffield air is not as polluted as back then.sorry PopT i went off on one there ,i just wish we were still there.