The old houses off Penistone rd

Rachylou

Hi does anyone have any stories about my nan and grandad or any of my family? My nan was called Mary Wall and grandad Tommy. my dads Malcolm Wall?

hi Jaynie was your dad one of the Wall twins ?i remember them when from hillsborough junior school,2 or 3 years older than me so we never hung out together.they always were with a guy called Dave Fairweather and John Evans who they called Pomp'.thats if i have the same people in mind. Sorry to hear about your uncle Jaynie,best wishes.

hi Pop T.i remember Softlys farm on borough road we lived near it in burnell rd,our back garden backed onto borough rd right opposite softlys.my mum used to send me to fetch milk and eggs from mrs.Softlys lovely people i seem to remember.that all got pulled down after we left sheffield along with a lot more of our area,just for a b****y road widening scheme.that area was home to us and all our relations since that area was farm land.wish we'd never left.back in the 60s my little brother used to get so ill with his chest doctor Henderson said to my parents leave Sheffield for somewhere with cleaner air,of course nowadays Sheffield air is not as polluted as back then.sorry PopT i went off on one there ,i just wish we were still there.
Sme good news regarding Softleys farm,when they demolished it mr Swann of Swann-Mortons told me take as much stone as I wanted,so now the stone forms 3 walls at a house in Oughtibridge and has done for many years.Chris still lives on Bickerton Rd but is not so well these days,I have known Chris for over 50yrs and I looked after his car for many years.:D

Hi Bullerboy

It was interesting to hear that some good camer out of the old Softley farm buildings, even if it was only garden walls.

I am still interested to learn how old the two farms were, Softley's and the next one on Borough Road.

I remember there was a date stone over the front door 16 hundred and odd, I cannot remember the exact date.

I wonder if anyone out there knows the history of these two places.

Happy Days! PopT

Ruzzer

You say the Softley family were lovely people and I can vouch for that, I believe Mrs Softley was formerly a Blackburn who were Quakers who were very good people.

I lived very close to the Blackburn family on Penistone road where they ran an haulage firm.

The original family lived in the forst bungalow at the begining of Rivelin Valley Road.

Their two boys were in the Boys Brigade, the eldest being an officer.

You couldn't find nicer people than the Softley's and the Blackburn families.

Happy Days! PopT

royal regular

stephen and malcolm thats it wounder how they are going on use to make me laugh those two pair of good lads dont know if you remember when there front room burnt, it was compleatley gutted i think through a cigerette i can see mary and tommy now both crying outside

Hello My dad is Malcolm wall and my uncle Stephen & Mick Wall. My nan was Mary and grandad Tommy. If you have any stories about any of them please let me know. We lived on Tanfield road and moved when i was about 5 yrs old. Thanks

hi Jaynie was your dad one of the Wall twins ?i remember them when from hillsborough junior school,2 or 3 years older than me so we never hung out together.they always were with a guy called Dave Fairweather and John Evans who they called Pomp'.thats if i have the same people in mind. Sorry to hear about your uncle Jaynie,best wishes.

Hello Ruzzer,

My dad is Malcolm Wall my uncle Steven Wall. I still see Dave fairweather from time to time as he lives near/on Parsons Cross. Dont know John Evans though. :) x

I have recently found the site and now busy exploring the different forums. I haven't read all the past posts, but anyway, my first job was at Park View Steel Works off Penistone Road in the late '60's. The Manager was a Mr Baxter. I walked to work from our house in Bradfield Road. The family went to the Owlerton Parish Church.I re-visited the area last weekend for the first time since those days. The church was the only place I recognised!

• 4 weeks later...
Hi, yes I am the Harry Wright you spoke of, who are you? I am now 66yrs old and my hair is no longer thick and quiffed it is waving( goodbye) though. Do you remember Les Lawton, Graham Clarke, Dave Ashforth, Walt Mcreath, Joe Sanderson etc. Where did you live?Where do you live now, do you still see any of the old crowd?

orite mate the graham clarke was his nik name gab?

Idont remember harewood rd the names all fade lived on penistone rd30s &late 40s High house rd(off bamforth)now demolish, cousins lived near Bassets backing on to the Don,i can still smell that place, in &out lots of yards as our roaming covered a large area,we was always back in time for tea

We lived at 119 Bamforth Street and my sister lived at the top end. We lived next to Mrs. Smith's shop. We remember Lily's Beer Off Shop,.