Mangla v Kashmir, what do you think?

Johnh

I've been to the mangla regularly for years and I love it. Went to the Kashmir once and had the worst meal I'd ever had. Couldn't eat it, the curry was really salty with tough meat and didn't taste like any curry I'd ever had before.. most strange.

Having said that alot of people love the kasmir. But personally I'd recommend Mangla.. everyone I've taken their loves it, apart from a few people who find the curries a bit hot and vegetarians who need to choose carefully on the menu to avoid frozen veg curries!

For meat eaters tho it can't be beaten I think... my favs are the chicken bhuna and the tarka dahl... Delicious!

I've been to both, Mangla definately do the best bhajis, so nice!!

Only been to the Kashmir once and was really impressed with my chicken madras, had loads of meat and the sauce was nice and thick. Would have to say tho that the Mangla wins hands down the food is always of a high quality and the service is better there too!!

Please do not be influenced by my opinion, visits to both establishments took place while under the influence of "muchas" alcohol

Kashmir - vaguely spicey gravy for social workers and the middle classes whose critical faculties evaporate within 20m of ethnic minorities.

Mangla - as good as it gets outside Kashmir I'd guess - not that I'd want to eat in Kashmir right now. All food cooked in front of you (rather than scooped out of some white placcy tub out-back). The nans are the largest and freshest you'll ever get. When they started as a late night cafe down the hill a few yards, 15 years ago? - they did sheep's brains, bitter melon curry and Alah knows what else - I guess BSE did for that. The decor down there used to be great as well - pic of waterfalls with motorbikes cut out from a mag and stuck on - class. Just noticed lately though that it's even oilier than it was, and the tarka dhal not got as much burnt garlic taste. Oh well can't live in the past for ever ...

The mangla started having a few 'off nights' and I found it a bit hit and miss for a while, I stopped using it even though I live just round the corner. This was before the referbishment though and I have eaten in since and it was fine. When ever I got a takeaway you could not identify one dish from another, take the lids of them and they were all pretty much the same.

Kashmir has an excellent reputation and is excellent for veggies. I nearly always use Gulshen on the Wicker now as they have never let me down.

Archived