Carbon monoxide alarm went off

suzan

i was cooking tea tonight and the carbon monoxide alarm went off, i called the emergency gas number and someone came out straight away. he checked the boiler, gas hob, oven and gas fire. he said everthing seemed ok as far as he could see, there wasnt any soot around my appliances and the flames seemed ok, then he told me he doesnt carry a monoxide tester. i couldnt believe it.

Hi Suzan

My mums did the same thing last week and when the man from the gas came he checked everything and then found out the battery in the alarm had gone flat. Hope this helps.

Had you recently parked the car in the garage? Is the garage attached to the house? Mine went off the other week after running the engine for about 5 mins in the garage. The car is new with a cat on the exhaust but the cat doesn't do anything for about 15 mins and lets monoxide release into the air. The monoxide must have got into the house and set the alarm off.

I opened the windows and it stopped. Nothing happened since.

weve had a battery powered one for several years now. Cant see the point of the little 'dot' ones, cos they aint gonna wake you up if the fire etc is faulty. Our old gas grill used to set ours off, thankfully, now replaced. British gas do battery ones pretty cheap (about £10 I think), but have to be replaced when the battery goes, though they do last about 2 years.

Archived