Carbon monoxide alarm went off

suzan

if you were cooking in the kitchen for a long time with doors and windows shut, you may have simply used up the available oxygen in the room for efficient burning of the gas, so what would normally have produced CO2, would now produce CO.

All landlords have a legal duty to ensure that gas appliances are maintained to minimum safety standards - student landlords have to provide an annual safety certificate, for example (not the same as a service).

Had you recently parked the car in the garage? Is the garage attached to the house? Mine went off the other week after running the engine for about 5 mins in the garage. The car is new with a cat on the exhaust but the cat doesn't do anything for about 15 mins and lets monoxide release into the air. The monoxide must have got into the house and set the alarm off.

I opened the windows and it stopped. Nothing happened since.

i dont have a garage, my car is parked on the front of the house. it took ages for it to stop, we had to leave it outside, but once tea was cooked, and the oven and hob was off it did stop, but at that point the heating was off too. i shall just have to see how it goes.

• 4 years later...

I have bumped this thread because a couple of days ago i bought a carbon monoxide tester as i have been feeling out of sorts lately and tonight it went off.

it was showing a reading of 400ppm and teling me to evacuate immediately, i called the emergency gas people who have just condemmend my whole heating system so it is going to be a cold few days for me and my son until i manage to get it sorted.

I am so glad that i got one of these things and dread to think what could have happened if i had not got one.

Please go out and buy one, it may just save your life :)

I have bumped this thread because a couple of days ago i bought a carbon monoxide tester as i have been feeling out of sorts lately and tonight it went off.

it was showing a reading of 400ppm and teling me to evacuate immediately, i called the emergency gas people who have just condemmend my whole heating system so it is going to be a cold few days for me and my son until i manage to get it sorted.

I am so glad that i got one of these things and dread to think what could have happened if i had not got one.

you may be cold for a couple of days but at least you are alive, i think every home should have one

Crikey, it's a good job you got one!

Hi, if you've not got anyone already to fix/ replace your heating please feel free to phone anytime and I'd be happy to visit to take a look for you and provide a free no obligation quote to do whatever work is necessary to get your heating back on for you.

I agree with your advice re carbon monoxide alarms and would also add that everyone should have all gas appliances checked for safety/ serviced at least once a year.

Thanks

Dan

City Wide Heating Services

Hi, if you've not got anyone already to fix/ replace your heating please feel free to phone anytime and I'd be happy to visit to take a look for you and provide a free no obligation quote to do whatever work is necessary to get your heating back on for you.

I agree with your advice re carbon monoxide alarms and would also add that everyone should have all gas appliances checked for safety/ serviced at least once a year.

Thanks

Dan

Wow, thanks Dan, any chance you could get out today?

Wow, thanks Dan, any chance you could get out today?

Hi, really sorry but I can't get to you today, I'd be more than happy to visit tomorrow afternoon or evening if that would help you. Please let me know a time if you'd like me to call.

Thanks

Dan

Hi, really sorry but I can't get to you today, I'd be more than happy to visit tomorrow afternoon or evening if that would help you. Please let me know a time if you'd like me to call.

Thanks

Dan

Ok, if i can't get anyone sooner before i die of cold then i will give you a ring :)

I know of 2 other people who nearly died from monoxide poisoning, it really is much more common than we think. Well done you for acting, it almost certainly saved your life. I take it you've not been put in a hyperbaric chamber? They did with my friends, they had to force the hemoglobin in the blood stream to release the monoxide that it had bonded to (meaning it couldn't carry the oxygen around).

*passes blanket*!!

Archived