Carbon monoxide alarm went off

suzan

A friend recently told me that someone they knew hadn't any gas in the house but died in their sleep from carbon monoxide poisoning last year from the wood burning stove.

They had a Carbon Monoxide alarm fitted and the test button worked, however the element that detects carbon monoxide only lasts 5/6 years which they didn't know.

So although the test button worked, the power light was on, it still didn't detect the Carbon Monoxide in the house.

I think it would be wise to replace them every 5/6 years dependent on what model/make you have.

And don't presume that if you don't have gas then you're safe.

My carbon monoxide alarm went off last week near my 25 year old boiler. It had been serviced regularly & had a nice blue flame. I thought all was ok but there was a tell tale sooty deposit on the ceiling & a huge leak was detected by my gas fitter.

I had a few very cold days last week whilst a new boiler was fitted - but I hope all is well now.

• 1 month later...

On the subject of Carbon Monoxide, this is a free service we offer to over 60's.

If for any reason you have a doubt about safety no matter what age, turn any gas appliance off, open windows and go outside to fresh air.

Under 60's can pay local engineers to check their safety or under some circumstances the gas supplier may offer one free of charge.

Free gas safety check in local areas (S7, S8, S11, S17) to over 60’s

Check Includes

** Checking For Gas Leaks**** Carbon Monoxide Assessment**

**Checking The Safe Operation of The Appliance**

Optional Certificate £15

Recent research carried out has identified that the over 65‘s age group have low awareness levels of gas safety and are particularly vulnerable to the effects of carbon monoxide poisoning.

Gas Safe are now trying to raise public awareness ‘Lets talk gas safety’ http://www.gassaferegister.co.uk

At K M Gas Engineering, we want to go that step further and make sure our elderly members of our communities are kept safe so we have this fantastic free check for home owners over 60.

A friend recently told me that someone they knew hadn't any gas in the house but died in their sleep from carbon monoxide poisoning last year from the wood burning stove.

They had a Carbon Monoxide alarm fitted and the test button worked, however the element that detects carbon monoxide only lasts 5/6 years which they didn't know.

So although the test button worked, the power light was on, it still didn't detect the Carbon Monoxide in the house.

I think it would be wise to replace them every 5/6 years dependent on what model/make you have.

And don't presume that if you don't have gas then you're safe.

My carbon monoxide alarm went off last week near my 25 year old boiler. It had been serviced regularly & had a nice blue flame. I thought all was ok but there was a tell tale sooty deposit on the ceiling & a huge leak was detected by my gas fitter.

I had a few very cold days last week whilst a new boiler was fitted - but I hope all is well now.

Few people realise that carbon monoxide detectors have a life span of 5 years. My advice is apart from renewing the detector every 5 years have a mains electricity device fitted or at least 10 year life batteries. Also you should have your boiler serviced every year. Ask for a safety check equivelant to a landlords gas safety certificate. My landlords certificate is £60 a year which is only £15 more than the boiler service.

Few people realise that carbon monoxide detectors have a life span of 5 years. My advice is apart from renewing the detector every 5 years have a mains electricity device fitted or at least 10 year life batteries. Also you should have your boiler serviced every year. Ask for a safety check equivelant to a landlords gas safety certificate. My landlords certificate is £60 a year which is only £15 more than the boiler service.

Hi,

As a fire detection company we know the dangers of fire but CO is the silent killer as we all know, in my house we have smoke detectors everywhere including in the kitchen and a CO detector in the room where the boiler is, these are all linked to a unit in our bedroom all wirelessly so should anything happen they are linked to the unit which sounds on activation and then doubles as a torch if needed.

Fortunately we haven't had to use it but I would like to think I would be woken in the night before the smoke got to the bottom or top of my stairs, by this time you have a pretty big fire.

By the way you to install the CO detectors in certain positions for them to be affective. If these systems interest you they are called fire angel and B&Q sell all the equipment, easy to install and set-up would strongly recommend. We are currently looking at supplying them ourselves as most people don't want a hard wired system.

If you want any more info look up Crystal Fire Detection. Thanks.

Archived