Wills and funerals...Have you decided?

It is a horrible thing to have to do, but since having my baby, i had to decide on a will and whati want my funeral to be like. It brought up some yukky discussions with my hubby about who would do what and what would go where if he/i/baby(god forbid) passed on. Im only 26 and this was hard! Has anyone else been grown up and done this yet? How do u decide who gets what?

Yes I have, for similar reasons to yourself. Easy for me though - I've said that anything I have is my son's in the event of my death. I also had to ask a very special couple to be his guardian and bring him up if I should go - thankfully they were very happy to say yes! :)

I've made it clear too that I don't want to be cremated - I think most of the rest is irrevelant (to me in death anyway) as long as I get put to the earth, I won't be bothered... unless I die slowly from an illness in which case I'll take the opportunity to make my own funeral arrangements! :P Ooh what morbid fun :D

I wouldn't worry too much at your age unless you have a lot to leave your surviving family. If you were to die, say, within the next couple of days then the baby should be looked after by either the father or your immediate family. It used to be usual for the God parents of the child to look after it if there was no-one else.

If you are serious about making a Will then you, and your Husband, need to make a list of your possesions, including things like the house, if you own one, and then decide who you want to get what. Remember, if you don't make a Will then any members of your immediate and extended family, can make claims on your possesions even those who you may not like. Once you have decided then you should go to a Solicitor and get your will made out as you want it to be. You will need at least one Executor, usually this is the Solicitor who will charge your estate when the time comes. My late mothers Solicitor charged £300 for about a couple of days work. Pick another Executor who is a close and trusted friend or relative and make him, or her, principle Executor.

Your best bet before going to a Solicitor would be to go to the Citizens Advice Bureau and talk it over with them.

I wouldn't worry too much at your age unless you have a lot to leave your surviving family. If you were to die, say, within the next couple of days then the baby should be looked after by either the father or your immediate family. It used to be usual for the God parents of the child to look after it if there was no-one else.

If you are serious about making a Will then you, and your Husband, need to make a list of your possesions, including things like the house, if you own one, and then decide who you want to get what. Remember, if you don't make a Will then any members of your immediate and extended family, can make claims on your possesions even those who you may not like. Once you have decided then you should go to a Solicitor and get your will made out as you want it to be. You will need at least one Executor, usually this is the Solicitor who will charge your estate when the time comes. My late mothers Solicitor charged £300 for about a couple of days work. Pick another Executor who is a close and trusted friend or relative and make him, or her, principle Executor.

Your best bet before going to a Solicitor would be to go to the Citizens Advice Bureau and talk it over with them.

Don’t particularly want to be morbid about this subject but I can think of lots of reasons for wills to be made at any age. NatalieSheff is only 26 but has a child who could need caring for if, for example, both parents were killed in an accident.

Sorry Natalie, but this is obviously something you have more than likely considered

We made a will recently just to make sure my TW*T of a brother in law gets nothing

hehe! its funny how money and death makes people! Know what u mean thou-ive heard horror stories around this type of thing!

My baby has 3men and 2 girls as Godp's but my hubs aunty will care for him in the event of my hub and i popping our clogs!...otherwise it would cause HUGE arguments in our family

My hub wants to be cremated but i want to be buried(unless we have the money to freeze me!) so it looks like ill have to keep him on my mantle for few yrs after death. hopefully we'll die together when baby is grown man. God that sounds weird, my baby being a grown man!

Every one of every age should worry if they don't have a Will, every single person over the age of 18 will have something that they really want to happen on their death whether it's how their funeral should be, who looks after the children, who gets personal posessions, who gets the money. The ONLY way to ensure this happens is to get your wishes down in a Will. Most people don't even realise that a child will be made a ward of court if the mother passes away and is not married, even a live in father does not legally have the right to the child unless it is written into a Will.

Be vary wary of listening to peoples views, always ask an expert/professional.

Thanks for giving me a nudge on this!

I got everything sorted at the England end long ago, with my best friend appointed guardian for the kids - though as I understand it the guardian doesn't necessarily have to take the children in, just be responsible for their welfare. We didn't expect to be in Germany so long so have never bothered with anything here. But I can't imagine the kids now would want to return to England upon our demise :( So it's high time I looked into how the Germans organise these things... with plenty of bureaucracy I imagine!

Archived