Eating on his own-help please

NatalieSheff

How do you start them eating with a spoon from a bowl? We've tried and miserably failed. Finger foods we're sorted. Juice from NUBY we're great but spoons......

I now put the suction bowl on his highchair tray and put food on the spoon and pass it to him-guiding to his mouth. Hes great for 2 spoonfuls then starts putting his hands in the dish, grabbing the spoon from me and launching it across the room. Its just quicker to feed him myself!!!!

But then a girl a know taught her child, from the day she could hold a spoon at about 10m-mines 15m!!!

any ideas?

Haha, I seem to remember avoiding this lark for ages to avoid the mess and time it took. :P Son is perfectly able to feed himself now though so he must have started easily enough at some point..!

Don't worry Natalie, at your son's age he will be more interested in exploring the fun options of what else his food and bowl does instead of using it to feed his belly... its all good, but can be a bit frustrating for Momma who just wants child to eat up :P

Natalie - I am having exactly the same problem with exactly the same aged child. I have decided it's best to let him do what he wants (i.e. grab handfuls of food and shove that in his mouth) and the spoon is available when he finally decides to give it a go. If we give him the spoon with food on it, he picks the food off the spoon with his fingers anyway. I'm just glad that he's eating a varied, healthy diet at last!

They'll get to spoons soon enough. Food time is a good time to learn all about textures and what happens when you throw bowls full of stuff on the floor and fun stuff like that. I always reckoned it was best to grit your teeth, let them have fun, pretend you're enjoying it, and lay the foundations for a happy, chilled eater...the big thing is never to let mealtimes get you down or become any kind of stressed-out ordeal.

Cosycub is quite good at spoon use, but it took a while, and he still dumps it and crams the food in with both hands by the end of the meal - but hey, he's eating, and we'll get to table manners when it actually matters.

Good luck - oh, and get a dog! They clean up EVERYTHING, it's fantastic!

Good luck - oh, and get a dog! They clean up EVERYTHING, it's fantastic!

Fergus does have some good points - I rarely have to pick up food from the floor. He even vacuums up the high chair as soon as Draggleshanks has been removed from it.:hihi:

One of my friends had a problem with her son just plain refusing to use a spoon. He just put it down and ate everything with his hands, no matter what she did. She didn't see it as in issue when he was very small, but as he passed 2 years old she decided that she had to take action.

So, breakfast was porridge. Have you ever tried eating porridge with your fingers? Only slightly easier than lunch- which was soup.

Eventually (and he's a smart lad, so eventually only took about a week) he had no choice but to pick up a spoon and get on with it.

Not that I'd advocate this as being necessary with most children- I just thought you might like to see that you're not the only one that this has happened with.

Archived