Sheffield College of Art & Design - Printing Students

Johnh

Yup, I was there.

Sept 1968 - June 1974, what a marathon.

I did a year as a comp and then five as a letterpress machine minder. A five year apprenticship at Sheffield No 2 HMC, then a year at the Muni and a year at Northends. Then never touched a piece of type again. Not wasted though almost everything I learned is applied in here one way or another.

Names I remember;

Ron Shaw, Keith Barker, Rob Ryder, Chris Bray, Rocky Hudson, Jon Smith, Martin ______, ..... currently looking for the photograph.

The lecturers that others haven't mentioned. Tony Oakley the machine room chap, and his technician "Two Sheds".

Don't ever remember going to the pub, ... much.

Later

That's it --- Two Sheds real name was Bob Inman. I think he qualified as a lecturer later.

As others have said - Glory Days!

Still later

Well found the photo

http://i399.photobucket.com/albums/pp79/Paul_F_photo/Gumbie2.jpg

It was funny at the time, honest!

• 1 month later...
Yup, I was there.

Sept 1968 - June 1974, what a marathon.

I did a year as a comp and then five as a letterpress machine minder. A five year apprenticship at Sheffield No 2 HMC, then a year at the Muni and a year at Northends. Then never touched a piece of type again. Not wasted though almost everything I learned is applied in here one way or another.

Names I remember;

Ron Shaw, Keith Barker, Rob Ryder, Chris Bray, Rocky Hudson, Jon Smith, Martin ______, ..... currently looking for the photograph.

The lecturers that others haven't mentioned. Tony Oakley the machine room chap, and his technician "Two Sheds".

Don't ever remember going to the pub, ... much.

Later

That's it --- Two Sheds real name was Bob Inman. I think he qualified as a lecturer later.

As others have said - Glory Days!

Still later

Well found the photo

http://i399.photobucket.com/albums/pp79/Paul_F_photo/Gumbie2.jpg

It was funny at the time, honest!

hi Paulf just read your list I'm pretty sure you must be Paul Froggart blew the dust off my photo a few months ago for a lad who was on holiday when it was taken Jack Travis he's no hair now where did it all go? Hope all of you are ok, not seen Chris after leaving Northends, I believe Keith is still at Garnetts. Can't get the surname of Dave on the end did it begin with H?. Oh by the way I'm the one who's name you forgot [Rodgers] it was a long time ago. I do agree with you it was funny, got to go MY BRAIN HURTS ha ha see ya.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Mart!

I'd recognise the your nickname anywhere on the ether, but quite how you got it escapes me for the moment.

Do I take it that you worked at Northends as well? I guess you know I was there for a short time - 74/75? I'm just back from a short visit to Sheffield a few weeks ago. After an introduction from John Hallam I visited Bob (Two Sheds) Inman, the machine room Technician when we were at Psalter Lane, at his place on Kelam Island - Privit Printing. Great to catch up. He sometimes sees Chris Bray so eventually Chris may visit here. Sad that the college is redundant and closed up.

Jack Travis? Can't quite place him .....

Alas also lost contact with Keith B some five years ago but I'd love to get his contact details if you have them.

Dave H ..... can't quite remember the surname either but I do remember he worked at Doncaster Free Press and lived in Denby Dale.

Look after yourself, perhaps we should plan a reunion before we all get too old?

Best wishes P

Archived