Researching on Unwin for family tree

kipper55

There was a man called Joe Unwin who was in charge of the General Stores at the River Don Works circa 1960's-1970's.

He was a popular bloke but do not have any details, maybe this post will jog someone's memory.

Happy Days! Popt

• 2 weeks later...

Just read your thread re the Unwin Family. I have been doing some research into our Unwins that emmegrated from Wadsley to Canada 100 years ago. My great grandparents lived at Sorril Hill prior to the 1880's. Father William. wife Kate (Wood) children Kate, William, Alice, Joseph (My grandfather), John and Manville. Joseph married Annie Baker in 1897 and they lived in Wadsley Town Head untill 1911-12 when they and their five children came to Victoria, B.C.

Just read your thread re the Unwin Family. I have been doing some research into our Unwins that emmegrated from Wadsley to Canada 100 years ago. My great grandparents lived at Sorril Hill prior to the 1880's. Father William. wife Kate (Wood) children Kate, William, Alice, Joseph (My grandfather), John and Manville. Joseph married Annie Baker in 1897 and they lived in Wadsley Town Head untill 1911-12 when they and their five children came to Victoria, B.C.

------------

Hi ya, We had a Mr unwin a School teacher at owler lane School.,

think he as passed on now.

Any help. :huh:

I have been searching the Wadsley Unwins who emigrated to Canada in 1911 and 1912. I have tracked my grandfather, Joseph as travelling on the Empress of Britain in April 1911. Apparentlly my grandmother and five children came the following year. I have searched 150 ship lists leaving Liverpool but cannot locate an Annie Unwin, Mrs Unwin or nee Annie Baker and Arthur, Ada, William, Mabel and John. I'm wondering if there would be any Town, School or Church records that would give me a clue as to what month they left Wadsley Townhead???

Thanks for your info. My grandfather Joseph was raised at Sorrel Hill and had three brothers and two sisters however my search is narrowed to Joe's family who lived at Wadsley Townhead. I visited the area in 1960 and a boyhood friend of my dad, Bert Edwards, toured us around the Sheffield area and to the walking lane of rowhouses where the Unwin's lived until 1912. He also introduced me to a neighbour lady (I believe her name was Mrs Cramper or Crapper) who remembered when Mrs Unwin and five kids packed their luggage onto cart and headed off on the start of their journey to Canada. I am trying to find out what month in 1912 that was. Is there any town, school or church records that might be able to help me?? dmunwin

Archived