Does anyone remember Blaskeys

toptourist

I remember Blaskey's on Attercliffe. We used to go there for all our wallpaper. I especially remember the time I got my 'Hollie hobby' wallpaper for my bedroom. It looked beautiful. My mum had had to save for ages to get it for me and I loved it!

My uncle worked at this branch in the fifties, I'm not sure if he was the manager, his name was Jim Price

My late mum and late aunt used to go to Blaskeys in Rotherham in the 40's and 50's as I recall.

I was born in 1941, and of course was too young to go wallpaper buying with em, so I can't recall where the Rotherham shop was sited.

I also have a memory of them travelling to Banners on Attercliffe, and I think they would go into Blaskeys there, as well as Banners.

It made a "girls" afternoon out, away from the children, I reckon.

I'm not trying to change the topic at all, but I also remember as a very young child being taken to Davy's Cafe in All Saint's Square in Rotherham, wicker chairs/tables etc). My mum and aunt used it on occasions when out shopping in my early days (when finances allowed.....which was not often in those days).

The Blaskeys lived on Millhouses Lane in the 60s. A large bungalow with tennis courts & a lake at the rear.I worked there for quite a while decorating it through for a company called Stan Collins. Mrs. Blaskey was a tyrant to work for unless she had confidence in you. Tradesmen only, or you went through the door! She originaly came from a large decorating company in Bradford,so she knew exactly what the 'score' was.

Blaskey's offices were at Highfields corner [now a restaurant] & i have fond memories of the arguments Lionel & his brothers had in the boardroom there, but they were always resolved before they left the premises!

• 2 weeks later...
There was a wallpaper shop on Norfolk Street called Blaskeys,where the Crucible is now.

I worked at Blaskeys (top of Water Lane)about 1953 while the big High St shop was being build, then moved to new shop. Norfolk Street wallpaper shop was owned by Gordon Gee and was Gee's Decorators Merchants which was also a trade shop,at the back of the wholesale dept was the old blacksmiths. I worked there after I left Blaskeys.

I remember the Blaskey's in the hole in road. Wednesday were having one of their bad spells and Save our Owl stickers were everywhere. We went York and they had to win to stay up, they lost 2-0, but not before the big plastic guide dog (outside Blaskey's) and it's bowl of water and the whole shop window had been plastered with save our Owls stickers.

i remember the hole in the road branch.when i was around 13 carrying a huge tin of burnt orange paint for my gran and we called at the little news agents that was attached to presto near the gallery towards pond street and i dropped the paint !!!!!!! i just grabbed lots of star newspapers and put it on top of the paint that was everywhere....every one in the queue had orange shoes (it was a saturday afternoon and a long queue!!) and we were all sliding in it ! my gran was furious, so was the shop assistants as id helped myself to the newspapers trying to stop it getting everywhere .......and the people wilth orange shoes.....well .......:o:(

i remember the hole in the road branch.when i was around 13 carrying a huge tin of burnt orange paint for my gran and we called at the little news agents that was attached to presto near the gallery towards pond street and i dropped the paint !!!!!!! i just grabbed lots of star newspapers and put it on top of the paint that was everywhere....every one in the queue had orange shoes (it was a saturday afternoon and a long queue!!) and we were all sliding in it ! my gran was furious, so was the shop assistants as id helped myself to the newspapers trying to stop it getting everywhere .......and the people wilth orange shoes.....well .......:o:(

lol !! I'm sorry for laughing but I just had a vision of all these people sliding around with orange shoes!! I mean, they probably had to get on buses with their orange shoes on too!! I bet you were really popular that day! :hihi::hihi: