Does anyone remember Blaskeys

toptourist

I started painting and decorating in 1943 for WW Axe and Sons in Netther Edge, I then worked for other firms later but after National Service that shop on London Rd. was empty and I had a look at it thinking I might sell paint and stuff but I just couldn't raise enough cash. Stokes offered me a wonderful contract on their paint.

I see you live in Florida,I have a niece lives in Jacksonville, Small World

there was one at Firth Park as well (Blaskeys that is):D

I remember that one Denlin my mum used to get all the wallpaper and paint for our house there. I remember having some with ponies on for my bedroom and my brother had footballers. My mum always wanted "a nice flock paper for the chimney breast" but unfortunately (or should that be fortunately?) she could never afford it.

• 1 year later...

i worked at gees from 1964 to 1969 and remember most of the names mentioned,i remember tom but he left not long after i started.i met my wife at gees,anne,and we are still together,i was a driver and then worked in warehouse,eventually taking over from alan elliot in wallpaper dept. when he left.anyone remember who i am? Thursday nights half of gees used to go to the grapes at dalton,one of the few pubs with a dj in those days,i went with ian tivendale another driver at gees.

Edited by jackanne
more info.

Ian Blaskey runs a student letting business from an office on Ecclesall Road, he married one of the late Cyril Caplan's daughters.

Blimey I did some temping work for Cyril Caplan when he had office just off the Moor, I was sorry to hear that he had died. He was a lovely old guy and was waiting to go for heart op when I was working for him. I believe he didn't get over the op. He once made me a smoked salmon and cream cheese bagel for my lunch. It was the nicest sandwich I have ever tasted:D:love:

Ian Blaskey runs a student letting business from an office on Ecclesall Road, he married one of the late Cyril Caplan's daughters.

Did you know ,Ian Blaskey owned and ran a ladies and gents Boutique,but

mainly Ladies designer outfits. "Cost me a arm and leg to keep the ex happy "

The Boutique was on Cambridge Street just up from the hair salon ,in the

mid 70's

One of the first jobs I worked on with my old boss, was for Ian blaskey and his wife.

It was an extension on their large stone house in baslow. This was about 1989/1990.

The cleaning lady used to make us the occasional discreet cuppa, as the lady of the house had left instruction, not to make the builders a drink. Nice.

i worked at gees from 1964 to 1969 and remember most of the names mentioned,i remember tom but he left not long after i started.i met my wife at gees,anne,and we are still together,i was a driver and then worked in warehouse,eventually taking over from alan elliot in wallpaper dept. when he left.anyone remember who i am? Thursday nights half of gees used to go to the grapes at dalton,one of the few pubs with a dj in those days,i went with ian tivendale another driver at gees.

I worked at Gees from 1961 to 1965, and am wracking my brain to think who you are. Give us a bit of a clue! Incidentally, I have been in touch with Sue Lunney, Melvyn Booker and John Firminger who I think you may know. Guessed who I am yet?