Rambling, I.D.Card and Ration Card during war years

During the last 1939 -45 War. Food was rationed and everyone had to have a identity card. During the war time years groups would go off rambling into the countyside around Sheffield.

What I would like to know is: At the villages where refreshment were available:

(1). Did people need to show their Identity Card to enable them to obtain refreshments?

(2). Was the food value of the refreshments deducted from the ration card?

During the last 1939 -45 War. Food was rationed and everyone had to have a identity card. During the war time years groups would go off rambling into the countyside around Sheffield.

What I would like to know is: In the villages where tea rooms were open. Did people need to show their Identity Card to enable them to obtain refreshments and also was the food value of the refreshments deducted from the ration card?

The short answer is No to all three questions. Tea-rooms were no different to what few restaurants Sheffield had during those war years. We didn’t need our ration books to have a meal in those, and as a rambler during the time I don’t ever recall the Sheffield Clarion Ramblers Handbook warning us to carry our ration books in our rucksacks.

We could also save on our rations by visiting the British Restaurants. Meat was probably one of the really scarce foods, but it was always available at British Restaurants. I always thought it would have been easier if they’’d given us all a higher ration of meat and not bothered to open the BR’s, but that’s governments for you.

Mind you, the food was nourishing and cheap, and I for one made the most of them!

To answer the last question, we were obliged to always carry our Identity Cards. Good job we were because I was once out rambling alone, and at the time I was skirting the rear of the old PoW Camp at Lodge Moor, wearing a green (what looked suspiciously like a uniform) and a train driver’s cap. Didn’t realise it at the time but I looked for all the world like a German PoW. A guard in the camp saw me, all hell was let loose and I was ordered to stop where I was; which I did because there were rifles pointing towards me. Even in those days I wasn’t entirely daft.

When the first guard arrived he was satisfied that I wasn’t an escaped prisoner, even without my identity card! My Yorkshire accent told him that — but he checked my ID just to be on the safe side. Had it not been available I think I might at the very least to have given up on my day out.

Good Story there Peter I can just imagine. We used to walk a lot up near the POW camps and we used to be scared stiff at times.

I can vagely remember one day my mother had some fish and chips and she passed some to the prisoners who you could often see at the railings. Fish and chips were a luxury for us at the time too

Vera

Good Story there Peter I can just imagine. We used to walk a lot up near the POW camps and we used to be scared stiff at times.

I can vagely remember one day my mother had some fish and chips and she passed some to the prisoners who you could often see at the railings. Fish and chips were a luxury for us at the time too

Vera

We had Germans building pre-fabs at the bottom of our garden,well over the fence, I was always afraid they would open our garden gate and come in, that was after the war was over, but they never bothered any one, that I know of, we lived on Herries rd back then

Vera

Whilst you are able. Please write it all down and Post it on the forum.

A lot of other younger users will appreciate it. At lot of people do not even know that a prisoner of war camp existed at Lodge Moor. But they are very interested.

I don't suppose you are any relation of another Albert Smith, who was a famous inter-war political activist in Sheffield and later became Lord Mayor?

My Grand-Father, Though I must add that my mother often said to me, 'People don't know everthing'!!

Any information that I can help you with or you can let me know.

You are welcome to ask me and I'd would appreciate it any information that you have.

In anticipation, Thank you a million for contacting me.

Archived