Rambling, I.D.Card and Ration Card during war years

Hi Albert,

I can't believe you're Albert's grandson - although I think I know one of your relatives indirectly, who wrote a biographical piece about him for a university course.

I've just finished writing a history of Sheffield in the years following the end of the First World War, particularly responses to the onset of the inter-war depression. Post-war economic buoyancy was well and truly smashed by a trade depression and disputes in 1920-1. There were almost as many unemployed in 1921-2 than there were in the depths of the 1930s in Sheffield.

Much of my work examines unemployed protest and politics, which, as you might imagine, has included Albert quite a bit (apologies for referring to him as 'Smithie/y' elsewhere if this sounds slightly strange, but it is how he referred to himself and how his comrades referred to him).

My work on Albert revolves around a number of different roles which he played in Sheffield in those years. He was a prominent political activist and outspoken councillor. He could be found speaking on many issues in different forums across the city. On one occasion, he debated with a speaker of the British Empire Union. Albert condemned the suffering of Sheffield women and their turning to prostitution, whereby the BEU speaker challenged him, saying that if they were so desperate then Sheffield women would have taken domestic service (which was a myth developed by the government - there weren't many domestic jobs going).

Perhaps the most famous episode was around the Battle of Walkley, after which he and Butcher were imprisoned. Albert was in the habit, as were many other labour activists in the city, of speaking to the unemployed who used to gather at West Bar. On one occasion a young family in Walkley had been evicted and the father went to see the unemployed at Crookesmoor Vestry Hall. They sent representatives to see the city unemployed at West Bar, after which hundreds went to Walkley, marching up past the university singing the Red Flag. There was a very big battle involving a great deal of police brutality (as the judge's cross examination of policemen subsequently revealed). One protestor died and 2-3,000 of the city's unemployed attended the funeral. Albert was imprisoned - something which can be read about in the Sheffield Forward and SFTLC minutes (I think), not to mention an excellent pamphlet by Baxter (1983ish - there should be a copy in local studies, if not I'll scan mine and give them a copy - if I get get copyright sorted).

I think Albert was also an original member of the Sheffield Communist Party, something I'll check next time I have a look at their minute books. I think he was also given attention by the state's intelligence services - but I'll check my copies of the Special Branch reports (the originals are at Kew) and let you know if this was the case, and how they described him if this was the case.

There is lots more, but I'll get some stuff together and e-mail it to you. Similarly, I'll stick a 1921 photo of him on photobucket and post the link on here when I get a chance.

All the best,

John

Hi Albert,

I can't believe you're Albert's grandson - although I think I know one of your relatives indirectly, who wrote a biographical piece about him for a university course.

I've just finished writing a history of Sheffield in the years following the end of the First World War, particularly responses to the onset of the inter-war depression. Post-war economic buoyancy was well and truly smashed by a trade depression and disputes in 1920-1. There were almost as many unemployed in 1921-2 than there were in the depths of the 1930s in Sheffield.

Much of my work examines unemployed protest and politics, which, as you might imagine, has included Albert quite a bit (apologies for referring to him as 'Smithie/y' elsewhere if this sounds slightly strange, but it is how he referred to himself and how his comrades referred to him).

My work on Albert revolves around a number of different roles which he played in Sheffield in those years. He was a prominent political activist and outspoken councillor. He could be found speaking on many issues in different forums across the city. On one occasion, he debated with a speaker of the British Empire Union. Albert condemned the suffering of Sheffield women and their turning to prostitution, whereby the BEU speaker challenged him, saying that if they were so desperate then Sheffield women would have taken domestic service (which was a myth developed by the government - there weren't many domestic jobs going).

Perhaps the most famous episode was around the Battle of Walkley, after which he and Butcher were imprisoned. Albert was in the habit, as were many other labour activists in the city, of speaking to the unemployed who used to gather at West Bar. On one occasion a young family in Walkley had been evicted and the father went to see the unemployed at Crookesmoor Vestry Hall. They sent representatives to see the city unemployed at West Bar, after which hundreds went to Walkley, marching up past the university singing the Red Flag. There was a very big battle involving a great deal of police brutality (as the judge's cross examination of policemen subsequently revealed). One protestor died and 2-3,000 of the city's unemployed attended the funeral. Albert was imprisoned - something which can be read about in the Sheffield Forward and SFTLC minutes (I think), not to mention an excellent pamphlet by Baxter (1983ish - there should be a copy in local studies, if not I'll scan mine and give them a copy - if I get get copyright sorted).

I think Albert was also an original member of the Sheffield Communist Party, something I'll check next time I have a look at their minute books. I think he was also given attention by the state's intelligence services - but I'll check my copies of the Special Branch reports (the originals are at Kew) and let you know if this was the case, and how they described him if this was the case.

There is lots more, but I'll get some stuff together and e-mail it to you. Similarly, I'll stick a 1921 photo of him on photobucket and post the link on here when I get a chance.

All the best,

John

He was my Grand Father. My wife would provide any family history links if they are of use to you. I really look forward to reading your work on him. Whilst you are checking what the intellegence service as got down about him. Have a look and see what they have got down about me. Id love to know!!. Though always remember. 'If you are not doing anything wrong, Thar's now't to be worried about'. They have a very, very important job to do. Is the relative my sister 'Joan'?

Hi Albert,

I'll certainly let you know when my work is finished (I'm waiting to hear how I've got on, if all is well and I pass first time I'll stick a copy in Local Studies).

I'm not sure which of your family members I know (indirectly)! They did some work with Dr. Helen Mathers at the university, who let me have a look at it. It was a fascinating biographical portrait.

It would be great to meet up sometime. As per the Ramblers thread, please let me know if you're having a meeting to get a website sorted out and I'll pop along to offer what help I can.

I'll go and find the picture of Albert and post it on here - if I have the one I was thinking of on this computer, it was just after he won in the municipal elections of 1921.

John

Hi Albert,

I'll certainly let you know when my work is finished (I'm waiting to hear how I've got on, if all is well and I pass first time I'll stick a copy in Local Studies).

I'm not sure which of your family members I know (indirectly)! They did some work with Dr. Helen Mathers at the university, who let me have a look at it. It was a fascinating biographical portrait.

It would be great to meet up sometime. As per the Ramblers thread, please let me know if you're having a meeting to get a website sorted out and I'll pop along to offer what help I can.

I'll go and find the picture of Albert and post it on here - if I have the one I was thinking of on this computer, it was just after he won in the municipal elections of 1921.

John

Was that ward called Salmon Pastures?

His pride and joy was the Gleadless Valley estate. What he would think of it now beggars belief.

Smithie.jpg

Hopefully this will work! It's scanned so apologies for the image quality. The photo is taken from _The Battle of Walkley_ by Baxter, which can be read in the library (I think).

I've printed the picture. Not a bad image to say its almost Ninety year old.

Thanks. But looking at him and looking at myself, I still remember my mother saying, 'People think they know, but they don't know everything'!!

A smile a day keeps the doctor at bay.

Archived