Pubs on the Wicker. Friday night pub crawls

Big_gun_boy

I to thought the station was a great pub especially lively on disco nights. I seem to remember a black fella called Joker.

Yeah thats him. He was a big bugger.

Last time I saw him was in the Station in the late 90s, he snatched the watch off a blokes wrist and legged it out of the door.

Used to go in all the pubs named on thursday&fridays.Does anyone remember the old dear who used to get up and sing.She was touching 85 and sang. I havent had it up since christmas.If i remember rightly i think it was the viaduct

• 2 months later...
Yes, on the corner of Stanley Street, just up from the Manchester. It had a little pot bellied stove in one room (there were three), and a mural painted on the way out to the outside bogs.

Best pint of Wards in Sheffield.

It was the worst pint of Wards in Sheffield when Joe Worley had it in the 50s because we lived next door but one to it on Johnson St.

• 2 weeks later...
Used to go in all the pubs named on thursday&fridays.Does anyone remember the old dear who used to get up and sing.She was touching 85 and sang. I havent had it up since christmas.If i remember rightly i think it was the viaduct

blimey i remember her bless her.

she used to be helped to the front i think by her daughter.(in station)

(that old umberella of mine) :hihi:

i used to go in all the pubs in the wicker on a fri night

with my mates.usually about 5-6 of us

rain hail snow. nothing stopped us..lol

all through the 70's and 80's untill all the pubs disappered.:mad:

The thread starter list of pubs brings back memories, some great old establishments there. The Big Gun was one of the most unspoilt Victorian pubs in Sheffield I've ever been in. That and the Blue Boar on West Bar.

I'm still having trouble placing the Harlequin though, I swear I've been in there, but I must've been canned.

Was it on one of those lanes back of the Holy Trinity Church? Somebody got it placed around the corner from the Manchester on Nursery Street, but I cant vizualise it somehow.

The Harlequin was on the corner of Johnson St. & Stanley St. on the opposite corner to the Lodestar Works.

hi,

I would just like to say that my mother-in-law is the landlady of the big gun. and it is the best pint in town, not just saying that but it really is, and i love it cos it is full of characters,my sister-in-law (andrea) is the bar maid. And i can honestly say its the best pint cos i know my father-in-law cleans his lines every week religiously. I think it will be a shame when these types of pubs will no longer exist. See you in there some time.

Archived