Pubs on the Wicker. Friday night pub crawls

Big_gun_boy

the brown cow and the big gun i have fond memory's of those places

i used to go down the wicker

in the early 70s to when they all closed down:mad:

i remember the 2 gays that had the bull and oak.

i remember trevor and phillis of the brown cow

julie there daughter

then they took over the bull and oak.

i went to trevors funeral a few years ago.

great people.

and so sad they all had to close down.

there was some right characters

i also remember the couple that was in the brown cow before

trevor and phillis,

wish they would open the pubs back up again down there

us girls dont know where to go now for a good night out.

every friday come rain hail snow we were there.:hihi:

started off in the penny black 6.30ish

then bottom of dixon lane then hen and chicks

tap and spire(bit it wasant that then.lol

the big one on the oppersite corner brewery on the bridge.

down to hare and hounds on nursery st.i think it was.

then the irish lion on the corner,big gun.

then the little pub next to big gun with the phone box outside

across to brown cow,then bull and oak across to viaduct

finishing off in the station.rather:gag: drunk..:hihi:

cor memories...lol

• 5 weeks later...

Played many a Saturday night gig at the Harlequin, 1995-99. Great little boozer, much missed. The Brown Cow on the Wicker (now a takewaway), still has the original side door with 'Brown Cow' written in the glass. You can only see it when when the place is open though, as there's a wooden outer door covering it up the rest of the time.

Last saw Joker in the East House. He got three pints out of me, which is quite a feat, as anyone who knows me will testify.

• 4 weeks later...

A few years ago, there were seven pubs in the wicker (arches to ladies bridge) and only one fast food shop (this was a chip shop). Now there is only one pub (big gun) and loads and loads of fast food shops/take aways.

Sign of the times.

I used to go in the" Bull and Oak " every night from 5.30 to 6.30 after we had done work at " Samuel Osbourns " on willey Street in 1970.Then we would go back and clock out. I will also say that the Bull and Oak was the best pint in the Wicker bar none, when frank had it. Must say though the" Lion on the corner of Wicker and Nursery street, Pulled a bloody good pint of Guiness. AHH good old day's

• 1 month later...
Never been to any of the pubs down that way, being relatively new to Sheffield. Are there any worth visiting these days?

There's only the Big Gun left on the Wicker - 'rough and ready'. Round the corner is the Harlequin (formerly the Manchester) which is nice, and you can continue down that way to the 'Beer Trail' - a whole littering of real ale places, but if you go on the Wicker, or further north from there, as you don't tknow the area too well, I wouldn't.

That said, at the moment, most if not all are shut due to flood damage.

• 1 month later...

I used to be the barmaid at the Brown Cow in the 70's, when Ron and Doris had it.We had some great times with the customers.I remember the Stanley brothers,a little Scottish bloke who,s name I can't remember, and RN,Lily and Wilf.Lots of good memories.We all moved to the Royal Oak, Mosborough about 1973

Archived