We (the nation) are fat, and fat is bad

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2006/11/26/nfat26.xml

A rather provocative article in the telegraph. It basically claims that the obesity epidemic doesn't exist, and that even if it did, being obese isn't actually bad for you.

I've not done any research into what they're claiming, but it seems (to me at least) to go against common sense.

Probably just going to the opposite extreme to try and shock people into getting off the recent obesity bandwagon.

As far as any government figures are concerned, I won't believe any of them until they bring in a system more reliable than the Body Mass Index. Any system under which a fit, muscular individual can be termed 'obese' is simply not fit for purpose.

BMI would class an olympic level rower as overweight - muscle density being greater than fat. So it doesn't make much sense.

A lot of that article is drawing on the idea that losing weight is more damaging to health than being fat, however, they don't really mention anythign about not being fat in the first place.

Anyway, I need a cheeseburger.

Anyone who says that BMI is bunk because it doesn't work on athletes is missing the point - it's not meant to work on athletes. It measures the relative obesity of overweight people very well and that's all it's meant to do. Yeah the cut-off points are arbitrary and every person is different and all that but an obese person going from a BMI of 35 to a BMI of 20 is going to be much fitter and healthier no matter what.

Archived