We (the nation) are fat, and fat is bad

I eat a balanced diet, take excercise, and don't eat ready meal crap. I'm about a stone overweight, but 2 and a bit stone over if you accept the BMI ideal as accurate. To attain my "correct" BMI I'd have to live on lettuce and water for the rest of my life whilst running 10 miles a day. It's accuracy I personally reackon is a bit shaky, and folks in the medical profession have said the same. It's just a vague indicator.

3 words for you.

Mark Vivien Foe

28 years old, peak of fitness dropped dead on the football pitch in the middle of an international match

2 more words

Jim Fixx

American jogging pioneer, wrote books about it, had tv programs about it, dropped dead jogging.

Heres another 2 words and i'm almost done.

Keith Richards

been smoking, drinking and doing drugs for decades. Had a couple of total body blood transfusions to try and get the heroin out of his system. Still touring and defying modern medical science.

Lifes too short to deny yourself a chip butty. That doesn't mean you should drink whisky and smoke marlboro and take heroin. Moderation is the key

3 words for you.

Mark Vivien Foe

28 years old, peak of fitness dropped dead on the football pitch in the middle of an international match

2 more words

Jim Fixx

American jogging pioneer, wrote books about it, had tv programs about it, dropped dead jogging.

Keith Richards

been smoking, drinking and doing drugs for decades. Had a couple of total body blood transfusions to try and get the heroin out of his system. Still touring and defying modern medical science.

Lifes too short to deny yourself a chip butty. That doesn't mean you should drink whisky and smoke marlboro and take heroin. Moderation is the key

But some people overdo the fitness thing.i do believe that there are too many fat kids and when you look at them they usually have fat parents.The kids are usually drinking bottles of coke!

3 words for you.

Mark Vivien Foe

2 more words

Jim Fixx

Keith Richards

A couple of words in reply.

Anecdotes, meaningless.

As a a more global nation, evidence is around that natural evolution has created a taller "norm". We are obviously much taller than our ancestors ,evidence is all around in old buildings,cars etc.

So perhaps the fat gene is the next evolutionary development?

People can't try to be taller, it just happens.Carrying additional weight might be the next step.

We are taller, but it's down to better nutrition, not evolution.

But now we can't absorb the nutrition and become taller we're widening?

It's a delicate balance between the correct nutrition and overdoing it.

• 5 years later...
We are taller, but it's down to better nutrition, not evolution.

Nutrition in a modern world? it would take me 7-8 oranges worth to get out of an orange what it would back in the 1950's.

Archived