Anyone remember The Mullen Family

There was a Mullens family lived in a large house,large family on Chesterfield Rd. and the side of their house had a long set of steps running up to Cliftonville Rd/St.

We used to call that house Mulligan's Mansions when I was little :) It's been demolished for ages though. You can't even see there was ever a house there nowadays, all been taken over by ivy.

oops off topic, sorry. Consider it a local interest aside :P

Timbuck, what a great family that was, and all very talented too, you always got a good night out, especially if all the family were there, we used to see them in a pub regularly that overlooked the River Don somewhere near Neepsend & became good friends with Byron, he was 19 at the time.

I was about to put a thread on the site to ask what had happened to them as my wife & I were only talking about them last week but couldn't remember their surname

rubydazzler, surely there name was Mullens,I'll ring my brother and find out.

No, it's definately Mullen, and none of them lived around the Woodseats/Norton Lees area, I can be sure of that. I live there now, and Byron Mullen is my dad, Barry was my uncle etc.

rubydazzler, surely there name was Mullens,I'll ring my brother and find out.

I don't know who lived there. It was just what we used to call it. I don't even know if it was inhabited at the time, it was pretty spooky as I remember. I'm talking about when I was little, mid to late 50s.

• 5 months later...
No, it's definately Mullen, and none of them lived around the Woodseats/Norton Lees area, I can be sure of that. I live there now, and Byron Mullen is my dad, Barry was my uncle etc.

There was a family called Mullen who were into singing where I lived on Doe Royd Cres in the 40s. The Mum used to sing in local pubs/clubs.I think the eldest sister sang too.Our family used to play with the younger Mullens.There was Suzanne, Barbara,Terry,Barry, and I think the youngest was Byron.I know Barbara was a good singer even as a little girl. We used to hold concerts in each others gardens.I remember going to one in their garden. We used to make our own entertainment.We were all very poor so soon after the war. I often went in their house,the door was always open and they were very friendly.Suzanne married a lad called Bob Rushforth who worked at the same place as me--Gillotts Bakery on Lyons Street.I worked in the offices at 1st.Later I helped deliver bread.Bob was a mechanic in the firms garage.Suzanne became a very young widow when Bob was killed in the garage.He was burning something away as he lay under a bread van.There must have been petrol in the tank because the van caught fire, and Bob was very badly burned, and later died from his injuries.This was around 1960 I think.We were all very shocked.Suzanne came to see me not long after that event.I often wondered what became of them all. I wonder are we talking about the same Mullens?

There was a family called Mullen who were into singing where I lived on Doe Royd Cres in the 40s. The Mum used to sing in local pubs/clubs.I think the eldest sister sang too.Our family used to play with the younger Mullens.There was Suzanne, Barbara,Terry,Barry, and I think the youngest was Byron.I know Barbara was a good singer even as a little girl. We used to hold concerts in each others gardens.I remember going to one in their garden. We used to make our own entertainment.We were all very poor so soon after the war. I often went in their house,the door was always open and they were very friendly.Suzanne married a lad called Bob Rushforth who worked at the same place as me--Gillotts Bakery on Lyons Street.I worked in the offices at 1st.Later I helped deliver bread.Bob was a mechanic in the firms garage.Suzanne became a very young widow when Bob was killed in the garage.He was burning something away as he lay under a bread van.There must have been petrol in the tank because the van caught fire, and Bob was very badly burned, and later died from his injuries.This was around 1960 I think.We were all very shocked.Suzanne came to see me not long after that event.I often wondered what became of them all. I wonder are we talking about the same Mullens?
Yes we're talking about the same Family..Barry and Bab's were known as "Barry and Barbara Morley" when they where singing in the clubs....Terry was well known at tallent contests around Sheffield for his Nat King Cole songs eg: "Mona Lisa"and "When I fall in Love"..Babara was often billed as "Sheffields Shirley Bassy"

• 4 years later...
Does anyone remember the Mullen Family all fine singers..I remember Barry, Byron, and another brother Who sang like Nat King Cole, Barbara ( Sheffields Shirley Bassy)and I believe two other sisters..all were singers. Barry and Barbara fronted a Sheffield Group Known as "The Conways" other members of the group were Eddy ??( an Indian multi-instrumentlist).....Gres Earp ( guitar)...Dennis Drydon (drums)..and Me (on Bass Guitar).

hello wonder if u can help me my grandfather was john mullen from glasgow who moved to sheffield with his girlfriend called barbara as far as i know they had six children my grandfather was a singer and i think barbara was too

Does anyone remember the Mullen Family all fine singers..I remember Barry, Byron, and another brother Who sang like Nat King Cole, Barbara ( Sheffields Shirley Bassy)and I believe two other sisters..all were singers. Barry and Barbara fronted a Sheffield Group Known as "The Conways" other members of the group were Eddy ??( an Indian multi-instrumentlist).....Gres Earp ( guitar)...Dennis Drydon (drums)..and Me (on Bass Guitar).

Hi Timbuck,

You missed out Bill Hogan, the brilliant pianist and original leader of "The Conways".

They started out known as "The Bill Hogan Trio with Barbara"

Barry always did a guest spot too (at least in The Burgoyne Arms, which was their regular Saturday night residency and was eventually properly incorporated into the group and the name was changed to "The Conways".

What great nights we had in the Burgoyne and also at the clubs which they played on the other nights (including many bookings along with the hilarious Bobby Knutt on the same bill).

The Mullens were certainly the most talented family I ever met, each with a different type of voice but all of them fantastic singers - such a shame that those times had to end.

Edited by Organgrinder