Anyone remember The Mullen Family

hello wonder if u can help me my grandfather was john mullen from glasgow who moved to sheffield with his girlfriend called barbara as far as i know they had six children my grandfather was a singer and i think barbara was too

Hi

John Mullen and Barbara were my father and mother. They came to Sheffield and lived there until their deaths in 1960 and 1974 respectively. I have no knowledge of their life before coming to Sheffield. We know that he was originally from Ireland and she was from Scotland. I would appreciate any information you have

We used to call that house Mulligan's Mansions when I was little :) It's been demolished for ages though. You can't even see there was ever a house there nowadays, all been taken over by ivy.

oops off topic, sorry. Consider it a local interest aside :P

I knew Don Mullens years ago. He moved to The Dale but I haven't seen him around for ages. He must be a right old age now -I wonder if he is still with us?

hi hope we have the right family did your dad and mum sing in the clubs

john mullen was my grandfather my mums dad he and my gran split up and he went to sheffield with barbara the reason i know this is because my aunt managed to get in touch with himwhen she was about 18 /20 .she came down to sheffield to babysitso my grandfather and barbara could go out singing.she wrote to him c/o sheffieldwelfare club

Timbuck is referring to Barry, Barbara, Terry & Byron Mullen (all brothers & sisters) who sang in the Pubs & Clubs of Sheffield & surrounding areas in the 60's.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi

John Mullen and Barbara were my father and mother. They came to Sheffield and lived there until their deaths in 1960 and 1974 respectively. I have no knowledge of their life before coming to Sheffield. We know that he was originally from Ireland and she was from Scotland. I would appreciate any information you have

my grandfather was john mullen father to five kids harry mullen may mullen catherine mullen [my mum] agnes mullen and emily mullen .he used to go out singing al jonstone songs in the local picture houses in glasgow.they lived in the bridgeton area of glasgow. my aunt may used to come down to sheffield to babysit and let barbara and him go out singing.but she was told to tell the kids she was johns sister not his daughter .

• 4 years later...
I don't remember the group they had, but Byron formed a duo in the 70's called Smith and Weston. I remember going to a different working mens club every Sunday dinner time and watching them play, sat at the front with a bottle of orange and a bag of crisps.Byron's my dad.

i was Byrons partnerin Scott & Weston. Neil Bridges

---------- Post added 01-05-2016 at 13:21 ----------

I was \Byrons partner in Scott & Weston.

---------- Post added 01-05-2016 at 13:27 ----------

I don't know what happened to Neil. My dad might know. I printed the posts off and showed them my mum and dad today, they don't have the internet, and he did say what he thought your name was, and Ive forgot! I remember my mum said she thought it was you who married her friend Beryl? Is that you or are they thinking of someone else? The duo they were in was Scott and Weston not Smith and Weston, I was thinking of the gun. Someone posted that Barry had cancer. Barry died suddenly of a heart attack, but whether he had cancer before that I don't know.

Hello im Neil Bridges who are you Lucababy ?

---------- Post added 01-05-2016 at 13:28 ----------

Does anyone remember the Mullen Family all fine singers..I remember Barry, Byron, and another brother Who sang like Nat King Cole, Barbara ( Sheffields Shirley Bassy)and I believe two other sisters..all were singers. Barry and Barbara fronted a Sheffield Group Known as "The Conways" other members of the group were Eddy ??( an Indian multi-instrumentlist).....Gres Earp ( guitar)...Dennis Drydon (drums)..and Me (on Bass Guitar).

i remember them well. Great family.

---------- Post added 01-05-2016 at 13:32 ----------

I don't remember the group they had, but Byron formed a duo in the 70's called Smith and Weston. I remember going to a different working mens club every Sunday dinner time and watching them play, sat at the front with a bottle of orange and a bag of crisps.Byron's my dad.

Hello I am Byron partner in Scott & Weston who are you ? send me a messagae please.

---------- Post added 01-05-2016 at 12:58 ----------

are you Karren

---------- Post added 01-05-2016 at 12:59 ----------

Hello are you Karren

---------- Post added 01-05-2016 at 23:31 ----------

yes i remember them. Great family great singers, dont know about Terry though lol

---------- Post added 01-05-2016 at 23:33 ----------

Im Neil Bridges who are you lucababy ? you Karren ?

---------- Post added 01-05-2016 at 23:34 ----------

Timbuck is that you Ken ?