Robinson Family

My great grandfather was from Sheffield. I know he lived there in the early 1920's. He lived at 45 Chelsea Rd. Does that road still exist? He was married to a woman whose last name was Anson. Sorry, I don't know her first name. His name was William Henry Robinson. If you have any information on either the Ansons or the Robinsons, I would appreciate a reply.

Hi Shadowgal

First welcome to "The Forum". It does'nt look like anyone will answer your query so let me have a go.

Sorry, I can't help you with any of the names you mention but the house, No. 45, is still standing in the leafy suburb of Nether Edge.

If you look in your P M Inbox you will find something that I hope is helpful to you.

• 13 years later...

There is a marriage registration in the June quarter of 1894 in Sheffield, for a

William Henry Robinson and Martha Jane Anson. Unfortunately, I can't find this

marriage online.

1901 census - 46 Parkers Road, Sheffield, Nether Hallam.

William H. Robinson, head, mar, 39ys, Cutlery Manufacturer, born Weedon, Northampton.

Martha J. Robinson, wife, 30yrs, born Sheffield.

Pattie Robinson, dau, 5yrs, born Sheffield.

Melville Robinson, son, 3yrs, born Sheffield.

Marcella Rodgers, 37yrs, domestic servant, born Ireland.

(Pattie was baptised as Martha Jane Robinson 29 Sep 1895 at St. George, Sheffield,

of 12 Harcourt Road, parents Martha Jane and William Henry. The name Pattie is in

brackets after her first name).

By the 1911 census, the family are at 49 Bower Road, Sheffield.

There is another son, C. Robinson, aged 8yrs.

Before I add anymore, is this the family you are looking for?

Hi Moirahyde - the William Henry Robinson that you found was my great-grandfather Harry Robinson's elder brother. He was born on 14 December 1861 at Weedon in Northamptonshire, where his father Henry Robinson was stationed shortly before he left the Army in 1861 (he had served 12 years in South Africa and had several Kaffir War medals). Born in Sheffield in 1822, Henry returned there in 1867 and died in 1879. I knew that William Henry and his family lived on Parkers Road in 1901-04 but somehow hadn't found them in the 1911 census so thanks for this - I just downloaded the page!

I know little about William and his family, but I have a note that they eventually emigrated to America, and William died in Detroit in 1929.

Edited by hillsbro

Hi Hillsbro,

What a small world it is sometimes. Glad to be of help with the census.

I did find Martha Robinson, 47yrs, housewife and Pattie Robinson, 23yrs, teacher,

sailing from Liverpool to New York in 1919. William is not with them, so, perhaps

he sailed earlier.

Yes - you've added a little to my family tree! I did wonder when they went to America (I thought it might have been pre-WW1) but never thought to check the "Travel & Migration" records that are available online.

I do recall that according to family lore, William Henry had the first motor car in Sheffield, and he had a minor accident when he collided with the second motor car in Sheffield. :P

Edited by hillsbro

• 1 month later...
Yes - you've added a little to my family tree! I did wonder when they went to America (I thought it might have been pre-WW1) but never thought to check the "Travel & Migration" records that are available online.

I do recall that according to family lore, William Henry had the first motor car in Sheffield, and he had a minor accident when he collided with the second motor car in Sheffield. :P

Hello everyone. Sorry it's taken me so long to reply. Hilsbro, you are a cousin to me! Our grandfathers were brothers. William Henry Robinson had 3 children: Melville Chester (my grandfather), his sister Pattie, and a brother Clifford. Before my William Henry came to the U.S., he lived at 45 Chelsea Rd., in Sheffield with his wife Martha Jane. Melville came to the U.S. when he was 12 years old and sailed by ship with a family friend. Melville married Vera M. Quackenbush and they had 3 children: William Henry (my father), James, and Elizabeth. My father, William Henry was born in 1918 in Detroit, Michigan. Great Grandfather died in 1929 in Detroit after a car accident. (Seems he had bad luck with automobiles!). My father and mother had 5 children: William Henry Jr., James, Kathleen (me), Charles and Michael. All are deceased except for William Jr. and I. We call him Bill. We also have a cousin in Tasmania! Can you believe it? He has done extensive research on his side of the Robinson family. I will have to look up the information as I can't remember who his grandfather was. Please contact me with any questions you may have about this side of the Robinson family. I find this all so interesting!

Kathleen (Kathy) Robinson Bate

William Henry ROBINSON married twice. His first wife was Emma BENNET by whom he had two children. Sadly both the children and Emma died (between the 1881 and 1891 census.) William Henry then married Martha Jane ANSON in the June quarter of 1894. I do not have access to this certificate.

I'm not sure about Chelsea road. My dad remembered them living in Harcourt road, but perhaps that was your grandmother. He told me she came to Sheffield at the beginning of WWII and tried to get my grandfather (also William Henry Robinson) and family to evacuate to the USA, but he was unwilling. And so the story goes, she stayed too long and there were no further flights or transport to the USA, so she was stuck there for the duration of the war. Your great-grandfather died when my dad was a small boy, and I don't think dad remembered him. He didn't even seem to remember his own grandfather very well (Harry, the brother of your great-grandfather) but he died in 1937.

Henry the father of William Henry and Harry (and Elizabeth) was supposed to have been born in Sheffield on 19 Feb 1822. I've pieced this together from census data (place of birth) and army records -- he was 17 years and 6 months on enlistment in 1839, and went onto full adult pay on 19 Feb 1840.

On his marriage, he said his father was William ROBINSON, a saddler. Henry's trade on entering the army was wire drawer. I have not been able to find more than this about his origins.

Barrie