Robinson Family

Hello everyone. Sorry it's taken me so long to reply. Hilsbro, you are a cousin to me! Our grandfathers were brothers. William Henry Robinson had 3 children: Melville Chester (my grandfather), his sister Pattie, and a brother Clifford. Before my William Henry came to the U.S., he lived at 45 Chelsea Rd., in Sheffield with his wife Martha Jane. Melville came to the U.S. when he was 12 years old and sailed by ship with a family friend. Melville married Vera M. Quackenbush and they had 3 children: William Henry (my father), James, and Elizabeth. My father, William Henry was born in 1918 in Detroit, Michigan. Great Grandfather died in 1929 in Detroit after a car accident. (Seems he had bad luck with automobiles!). My father and mother had 5 children: William Henry Jr., James, Kathleen (me), Charles and Michael. All are deceased except for William Jr. and I. We call him Bill. We also have a cousin in Tasmania! Can you believe it? He has done extensive research on his side of the Robinson family. I will have to look up the information as I can't remember who his grandfather was. Please contact me with any questions you may have about this side of the Robinson family. I find this all so interesting!

Kathleen (Kathy) Robinson Bate

Hi Kathy,

I've already replied, but it seems I mixed you up with Cathy, who is a granddaughter of Pattie. I think we have already made contact some time back, as I remember your surname.

Did you know that William Henry's (senior) sister Elizabeth's family are all in the USA? She had a daughter, but died about two or three years later. The daughter, Edith Emma Ford married a metallurgist, Tom Holland Nelson, and they emigrated to the USA the day of their wedding. Edith's three eldest children were born in Sheffield, but the youngest was born in Maryland. I think she must have returned to Sheffield to be with her stepmother for support or something.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hillsbro,

My first cousin, Gail and I are planning a trip to England in July. We will be on a tour for 9 days, but we would like to travel from London to Sheffield by train. We would love to meet up with you if possible. Let me know if this would be possible. Hope to hear from you soon.

Kathy (Robinson) Bate