Norton us military base

mikeh

As I remember.The old USA military base in Norton many of us learned to drive at pre driving test in the 60s,was rumour has it , the final resting place for all the old American cars unable to return with the owners to the states.Some big old pit somewhere is holding some antique caddies six feet under.Rumour or fact.????:confused:

Rumour it may have something to do with a blue cadillac that was bought in the 60s that belonged to diana dors and some business man in sheffield bought it and it was garaged up at norton for some time and that might be the start of the myth.I dont think norton was ever a US base it was the RAF it was mostly to do with radar and electronice no flying ever took place

Rumour it may have something to do with a pink cadillac that was bought in the 60s that belonged to diana dors and some business man in sheffield bought it and it was garaged up at norton for some time and that might be the start of the myth.I dont think norton was ever a US base it was the RAF it was mostly to do with radar and electronice no flying ever took place

The Cadillac in question was actually parked for a time in Shukers garage at the bottom of Broad Street. Don't know about it being up at Norton aerodrome but I suppose it could have been.

It did indeed belong to Diana Dors at one time but I seem to recollect it being a powder blue colour rather than pink.

The story was that Diana Dors got rid of it because it was an automatic and driving tests weren't allowed in them at that time.

Don't know whether that's true or not.

You're right about Norton never being a U.S. base but I do believe that there were barrage balloons there during the war.

The Cadillac in question was actually parked for a time in Shukers garage at the bottom of Broad Street. Don't know about it being up at Norton aerodrome but I suppose it could have been.

It did indeed belong to Diana Dors at one time but I seem to recollect it being a powder blue colour rather than pink.

The story was that Diana Dors got rid of it because it was an automatic and driving tests weren't allowed in them at that time.

You're right about Norton never being a U.S. base but I do believe that there were barrage balloons there during the war.

I too remember the Cadillac stored at Shukers garage, next to the Durham Ox., and you're right it was Powder Blue, not pink!

yes there was a barrage balloon set up during the war

• 1 month later...

It was RAF Norton and a fully operational base. It was in the first world war part of an airfield with runways from Coal Aston to the base. Used to have Battle of Britain Open Days every year. Light aircraft used to land up to its closure. Maingate was oppsite Herdings Community School Caretakers house and the old road is now the big layby.Used to be an aircraft on display just inside the gate next to the guard house.Houses on Lightwood Lane were originally RAF houses.First World War aircraft repair base.

Archived