Norton us military base

mikeh

A friend of mine I knew here in Florida and who died recently of cancer, a Canadian who flew Lancasters during the war had a brother stationed at Norton. A lady school teacher at St Mathias school was courting a canadian from Norton air base. It must have had aircraft there during the war because this friend told me his brother flew a hurricane from there to see him and got carpeted for his troubles.

There was a Barrage balloon site in Meersbrook park near the Museum.

impossible they getting mixed up with another airfield

Im lead to believe that there were two air bases in the Norton area.

One was where Rowlinson school is now, which had aircraft. The other was on Lightwood Lane and was a barrage balloon base, and didnt have any aircraft at all.

the one you thought as at rowlinson school is in fact a couple of miles away at coal aston it was always a private airfield and it never was a RAF BASE it was used for emergency landings in the war but that was all and it did have emergency staff to man but they were stationed at RAF Norton approx four miles away and they travelled to and from each day.

for your information the airfield at coal aston did stage barnstormers shows in the 1920 to 30s

It's worth noting that even though it may have had a name like RAF Norton, there is no guarantee it actually had a runway. RAF Croft, near me, is one such place and was a transitions satellite centre for nearby RAF Burtonwood (which was a USAF base)

RAF NORTON did have a small airstrip but nothing of any relevance used it.

because it was a grass strip

butchill you are right about the location of the airstrip being nearer to Coal Aston, Cobham used to give 5bob flights before the war. Part of RAF Norton became the Lightwood Lane Driving Centre that was the end nearest the roundabout leading to what used to be the Bagshaw Arms. I was an air cadet in the early 1950 and the only thing I ever saw land there was an helicopter, which landed just behind the hangers on the football pitch

butchill you are right about the location of the airstrip being nearer to Coal Aston, Cobham used to give 5bob flights before the war. Part of RAF Norton became the Lightwood Lane Driving Centre that was the end nearest the roundabout leading to what used to be the Bagshaw Arms. I was an air cadet in the early 1950 and the only thing I ever saw land there was an helicopter, which landed just behind the hangers on the football pitch

off topic but what is the weather like at the moment where you are thank you for the confirmation and I was also in the air cadets in the early 50,s dont ask me if I remember you it will be impossible I cant rememember where I was last night

Archived