Tunnels under Sheffield

as a kid i knew the landlords son at carbrook hall which had a tunnel entrance in the cellars about 50 years ago-supposedly for rescuing queen mary but why any one would dig a 2mile tunnel is beyond me. there were several mines in handsworth, attercliffe etc that my grandad worked down,and lost several fingers in accidents.

• 3 months later...

I was told when I was a young boy, must have been twelve or thirteen at the time, that there was a control centre built under the Town Hall Extension for use in the event of a nuclear war. A friend of my Mum's claimed that he had been in there a few times and only saw a fraction of it. Could it still be there does anyone think? I also know from my time in the CND during the eighties that plans were in place to run the British Government from Sheffield should the communist in Moscow start tossing their nuclear toys our way. So it is not inconceivable.

Nick B - Very unlikely, it would be a huge facility with space for a few hundred people inluding storage for food, space for generators, air conditioning units etc..

With the underground car park taking up nearly the whole of the extensions footprint there would not be enough space.

Anyway why build somewhere over 100 miles from the centre of Goverment. Just build it in London so the Goverment, Head of the Armed Forces, Police etc can get there quickly.

I was told when I was a young boy, must have been twelve or thirteen at the time, that there was a control centre built under the Town Hall Extension for use in the event of a nuclear war. A friend of my Mum's claimed that he had been in there a few times and only saw a fraction of it. Could it still be there does anyone think? I also know from my time in the CND during the eighties that plans were in place to run the British Government from Sheffield should the communist in Moscow start tossing their nuclear toys our way. So it is not inconceivable.

Not actually in Sheffield but this link maybe of intrest.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article584503.ece

http://www.bbc.co.uk/wiltshire/underground_city/

Edited by only_me

Nick B - Very unlikely, it would be a huge facility with space for a few hundred people inluding storage for food, space for generators, air conditioning units etc..

With the underground car park taking up nearly the whole of the extensions footprint there would not be enough space.

Anyway why build somewhere over 100 miles from the centre of Goverment. Just build it in London so the Goverment, Head of the Armed Forces, Police etc can get there quickly.

The Governments solution was to "disperse the machinery of Government into small pieces in the provinces, where there would be a greater chance of survival" ........

These were called Regional Seats of Government and the link below explains all. Even though it's a Wiki link I can personally guarantee that Region 3's site in Nottingham does exist.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regional_Seat_of_Government

I used to spend hours around the ruins at manor lodge,I once tried going down what people used to say was a tunnel but after about 50 ft along someone had bricked it up,had a look a couple of years ago and where the entrance was that too is filled in,1 other thing i actually found an old well inside the grounds whilst diggin out some rabbit holes,even the old caretaker mr garget said he didnt know about the well,it was about 30ft deep built with old red brick and covered with wooden sleepers which looked like they had been there some time,a couple of days after someone from the town hall came and took photos and then sheeted over it and put a few feet of soil on top,I would love to think there are some old mysteries hidden around sheffield.

I have heard that they used to do tours of these tunnels and castle remains but this was years ago, if you get the go ahead please let me know I would love to come along.

There aren't tours of the tunnels, but there are/ were tours of the castle remains at Castle Market. Contact the markets department, for information.

I would love to think that there is a network of tunnels running underneth the streets of Sheffield, with so many of our cities landmark historic buildings being pulled down to make way for modern eyesores it would be like a secret underground history. Not liking enclosed spaces I'm not sure I would be brave enough to venture underground myself, even if it were possible, but still following with interest.

According to some books on Sheffield there is/are loads more than one tunnel system. For work I'm particularly interested in the one that ran from the castle to Manor Lodge, and am looking for any info - and definitely any chance to have an explore :!::D

Friends who have worked at Fargate and the Moor have reported tunnels linking shops together - known but not widely known. Some of the churches are supposed to have them too.

There are also all the old graves.

I love the thought of all that history lurking under my feet when I'm in town.

I'd love the thought of having an explore even more. But I bet 'they' would say it was too much of a safety hazard to let people have a wander. Or maybe there are those who still use the tunnels for purposes nefarious and otherwise?

Laura

I do apologise, but I forget which book/books I got out from the library a year or two ago now, but I did read that there where tunnels from the Castle/Castle Market in town through to the Cathedral and possibly near or under where the Boots Chemist and Mcdonalds are now? Would someone tell me if thats right please?! I really cant remember. xxx