Tunnels under Sheffield

It wasn't meant to be an exhaustive list--just some real-life examples to start the ball rolling--but yes, The Sheaf runs underneath the top end of Sheaf Street in some strange way. My belief is that it runs under the pavement between Ponds Forge and Sheaf Street and continues under the pavement of Exchange Street to meet The Don at Blonk Street corner...

We shall see...!

Look for the MEGATRON DRAIN

• 2 weeks later...

I have been in a tunnel from kelham island which stops nr the fat cat car park and there is a bricked up bit which im told ran right into town some where, also when ponds forge was made it shud av been bigger and come nearer the road where them grass hills are but couldnt as thats where the tunnels are and there listed and couldnt be damaged etc.

I was listening to Hallam FM this morning and heard talk of Sheffield having its own Metro system under the city centre.

There has been a lot of rumours in the past about tunnels under Sheffield and today they confirmed a local contractor had been given the go-ahead to investigate the tunnels to see if it is viable.

Apparently some of the tunnels are big enough to drive a lorry through and they connect the town hall, cutlers and city hall.

Very interesting stuff, I'm surprised no local journalists have picked up the story for the star.

Did anyone hear the interesting story on Hallam FM this morning about the tunnels running under Fargate, Town Hall, City Hall and Cutlers?

Apparently they can be accessed (or could be) from the Police Box on the top of Fargate. A local contractor has been awarded the contract to investigate the tunnels to see if it is viable to create a Sheffield Metro service.

Some of the tunnels are big enough to drive a lorry through!

Erm, look at the date :roll:

You're probably right! :)

I had considered it might be a wind up but there has been quite a bit of deliberating about it on here in the past. Just wondered if anyone else had heard anything similar.

It's a shame that there isn't a Metro service in Sheffield, the one in Newcastle is excellent. Although our Supertram is pretty decent!