Tunnels under Sheffield

Speaking of tunnels, when they closed the hole in the road, did they fill it all in or are the tunnels still there but covered over?

I think the hole was filled with rubble from some demolition that was conveniently going on at the same time.

I'm pretty sure the same fate befell the central island of Furnival Square.

• 4 weeks later...

hey I'm new to this forum. Was just wondering if anyone has actually been to any of these tunnels, I'm very interested in it and would love to explore some or find out more information about them from some form of reliable source. Any one here want to take me on a subterreanean adventure??

It's a lovely set of stories kebabgirl, but I'm firmly of the opinion that the tales of tunnels are nothing more than fanciful exaggerations and urban myths that have built up over time.

I've yet to come across anyone that has really seen or been in a 'tunnel' that isn't just a basement door, a bricked up cellar, or an old mine working. There's no real reason to build a tunnel, and the geology / available technology really does put it into the realms of fantasy.

Lovely tales, but I don't think there's anything in them.

Ok Tony, if I find any I'll let you know.

P.S, How do I know that you're not working for the Government in attempt to persuade people on this forum that these tunnels don't exist so that we don't find go and find the nuclear shelters amongst other things apparantly down there??!!!:):loopy:

I've heard (though I haven't tried it myself) that if you go under the viaduct in between the leadmill and the train staition, next to the new spar. You eventually come up near forge dam. Its a varyation of current water outlets but apparently there is acsess to at least 3 "secret tunnel" (although I'm sure the council are aware of them.

A perfect place to hide when the zombies invade

I've yet to come across anyone that has really seen or been in a 'tunnel' that isn't just a basement door, a bricked up cellar, or an old mine working. There's no real reason to build a tunnel, and the geology / available technology really does put it into the realms of fantasy.

Lovely tales, but I don't think there's anything in them.

Thats what the man wants you to believe!!

I've heard (though I haven't tried it myself) that if you go under the viaduct in between the leadmill and the train staition, next to the new spar. You eventually come up near forge dam. Its a varyation of current water outlets but apparently there is acsess to at least 3 "secret tunnel" (although I'm sure the council are aware of them.

A perfect place to hide when the zombies invade

the river Porter runs between the station and forge dam, what is described will probably be the culverted sections between the station and DC cook's old car showrooms. there's more culverting towards waitrose, and a bit more behind ecclesall road.

PT