Tunnels under Sheffield

It's a lovely set of stories kebabgirl, but I'm firmly of the opinion that the tales of tunnels are nothing more than fanciful exaggerations and urban myths that have built up over time.

I've yet to come across anyone that has really seen or been in a 'tunnel' that isn't just a basement door, a bricked up cellar, or an old mine working. There's no real reason to build a tunnel, and the geology / available technology really does put it into the realms of fantasy.

Lovely tales, but I don't think there's anything in them.

Bravo Tony,

Can we put this story on the shelf.

The chance of any of these "Romantic Tunnels" ie Manor Castle to the Sheffield Castle, etc. ever exisiting are a bit far fetched.

I think we are all victims of local folklore and our relative's imaginations. Every family had a story teller. Mine was no exception. My Uncle Albert was one of the best; however, even he used to roll his eyes at the suggestion of tunnels to Manor Castle. If there was one, it would only go a few metres at the most.

In the 15th and 16th centuries, when the tunnnels are said to have been built, England just didn't have skills or the instruments to do it. Tunneling more than say 100 metres underground needs good accurate surveying and it just wasn't around until the late 18th or early 19th century.

If they started digging from Manor Lane to the castle in town in Elizabethan times, they were just as likely to end up in Attercliffe or Encliffe Park. Also, they had to get under the River Sheaf. Going under a river, any river, without flooding everything is not easy, even today.

Regards

In the 15th and 16th centuries, when the tunnnels are said to have been built, England just didn't have skills or the instruments to do it. Tunneling more than say 100 metres underground needs good accurate surveying and it just wasn't around until the late 18th or early 19th century.

Regards

tunnels were used to undermine castles in the 12th century and before,they had to go under moats etc and were often started hundreds of yards away from the castles out of sight of the castle troops,often this was the only way to beat the defences of a castle

tunnels were used to undermine castles in the 12th century and before,they had to go under moats etc and were often started hundreds of yards away from the castles out of sight of the castle troops,often this was the only way to beat the defences of a castle

Hi

I agree some tunnels were dug hundreds of yards to undermine castles; however, alignment in these circumstances wasn't too important. If you were a few feet or yards off the place you first intended to be, it didn't matter as long as you got under the wall.

What I'm talking about is tunnels, supposably dug in Elizabethan times or earlier, that went for 2 or more miles. Also situations like Manor Castle to Sheffield Castle that were hundreds of feet different in elevation. This is where you can't use guesswork or goodness knows where you might end up.

Remember the stories about the PoW's in World War 2 who dug tunnels to escape from the camps. The people who planned these things were often some of brightest around but without the necessary surveying equipment, they could make mistakes. The end of their tunnels might come up inside the wire rather than outside.

Regards

Im currently writing an article for a local magazine and looking for as much "real" Information as possible regarding any and all types of tunnels under sheffield. Any Sites that I DONT have to pay for would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks peoples

• 1 month later...

Realistically discussing tunnels from the era of sheffield castle etc etc is not worthwhile since they will almost certainly be destroyed now.

Subterrean Sheffield more than likely consists of simply basements, mines, and the odd ww2 bunker. It is possible the universities have steam tunnels however. Nottingham (and dare i say it leeds) is far more interesting when it comes to underground tunnels.

Nuclear Bunker wise, the best you'll probably get is the ROC bunker at the back of abbeydale golf club.

It's a great thread that has been the subject of speculation for donkeys years, long may it go on as the last thing that I want to hear is that there were no tunnels. Logic implies that there would have been tunnels during the time when Catholic's were being percecuted but my guess is that they would have collapsed by now.

Also as has been mentioned in previous posts Victorian drains could have been mistaken for tunnels as could mine shafts. However the foundations of Sheffield Castle still exist so it should be pretty simple to find any signs of tunnels there.