Tunnels under Sheffield

Hartshead is where the Dove & Rainbow is, if they were foundations it would've been an outbuilding for the castle I would have thought.

Doubt if it was anything to do with the castle, - when the castle was built Hartshead would have been on the western fringe of what then was Sheffield, and the outer courtyard of the castle extended along the south side of what is now the Haymarket.

http://www.sheffieldmarkets.co.uk/images/street-plan.jpg

Worth checking in Local Studies as there are likely newspaper cuttings about that tunnel.

No, not dismissive, just that I can't find any real records for how it was done, just an assumption that it was down from 2 ends via some ropey trig and land surveying techniques that would create huge errors. It would be quite possible to do it from one end in a straight line on a constant slope with little knowledge, but not from each end. It's a pretty simple job to be honest.

I've got one or two surveying qualifications so I know how hard it would be today from both ends with laser levels, never mind a few tripod or hand held squares. ;)

All the caption from picturesheffield says is 'hartshead tunnel' no other info. Might have a word with the guy from the local studies see if he knows anything further about these.

Hartshead is where the Dove & Rainbow is, if they were foundations it would've been an outbuilding for the castle I would have thought.

Hi,

If it's in Hartshead, its a tad way from the Castle; however, its the most interesting discovery yet.

Have we any idea who these people are and when the photo was taken? Looking at their clothes, etc. it looks like it could be the thirties or forties. Most men, particulary workmen, had stopped dressing like that by the fifties.

Remembering that Hartshead was one of the most heavily damaged areas in the blitz, could this "tunnel" have been exposed by a bomb or was it exposed during the reconstruction of the area ?

If so, its possible that the men are from the City Enginners dept., in which case, there may be an old report of their findings on file somewhere.

If they are archaeologist, then there most certainly would have been a "Dig Report" done by somebody.

Regards

If anyone really wants to find out for themselves you can call ARCUS, the Universities archaeology department who do 99% of the investigation work in Sheffield.

I suspect I know the answer that you will get back, but never say never ;)

Does anyone remember the massive hole that opened up on the Park Square Roundabout island about 10-15 years ago? Apparantly this happened because an old mine shaft under the roundabout hadn't been filled in correctly.

Still amazes me that there's all these funky things under the ground that we never hear of. I'd kinda convinced myself that the stories of the Castle remains under the Fish Market were something I'd dreamt up until doing an internet search on it a few months back.

When I was kid we used to down to see the remains of the castle, they could be cearly seen among the excavation, walls even an arch at one stage.

my father told me a true story his father told him of a tunnel a tunnel of such lenth that men marveled at it s wonder he told me it took more than 1 million orange/red industrial bricks to build now were talking 100 plus yrs ago so you can imagine how many bricks that would be in todays terms anyway i digress my father mentioned the sage of hather as it s origins i moved to new zealand when i was a youngster and only returned recently i have searched everywhere for said place i am exasperated by my unfruitful searching and am begining to disbelief my own father who is sadly now departed i would be gratefuln if anybody good help me solve my lifelong story thank you

Probably been said but it would seem likely that the Sage of Hather, is Hathersage, non!

Does anyone remember the massive hole that opened up on the Park Square Roundabout island about 10-15 years ago? Apparantly this happened because an old mine shaft under the roundabout hadn't been filled in correctly.

Hi,

This is a bit off-topic, but there used to be strange structure on Sheaf Street, opposite the bottom of Commerical Street (generally where Park Square is now).

It stood in a little yard. On one side were the original buildings for Sheaf Motors and on the other, a funny little road called Granville Hill that went up from Sheaf Street to Granville Streets.

The structure was a sort of tower, made from heavy timbers. On top was what looked like a small water tank, although it might of have been a cover for some machinery. At the back of yard were what looked like a couple of small cottages. They always seemed to have the doors open and the lights on. Once in a while. you might see a person moving around in the yard as if they were taking care of the equipment.

I once asked my dad what this was and he thought that it was an old mine shaft which had been closed-off and was now used for pumping water from the Nunnery Pit. I think the whole thing disappeared very quickly, about the same time that the Nunnery closed.

Does anyone else remember it?

Regards

No, not dismissive, just that I can't find any real records for how it was done, just an assumption that it was down from 2 ends via some ropey trig and land surveying techniques that would create huge errors.

Well I wasn't trying to make a case for the claim that the Samos tunnel was dug from both ends, - just using the link to show depoix that much vaunted Roman technology was often,- even usually, based on that of conquered peoples. The Romans were kleptomaniacs and what 'art' they couldn't carry off home as booty they copied, or enslaved the originator to reproduce for them.